Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that there is 1000 cfs in Lodore canyon. Usually I am suspicious of winter numbers, but I know Flaming Gorge is upstream from the Canyon and they certainly can release a lot of water.

Anyone know if this is a legitimate reading, or how long it might last? Anyone know what this trip would be like in the winter? I'm pretty sure you don't need a permit till April or so.

Can you say Jonesing?

·
Registered
399 Posts
When is Westwater good to go? I read that story earlier this year about hiking out of the canyon with a raft due to an ice damn. I would think the temps in Moab in March would start warming up and it could be a good trip. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure about ice, but besides that just look for half decent weather. You don't want to be in there for a winter storm. It can get miserably windy, especially if you have a raft to get through the flatwater.

Good time to have an outboard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have never done the Lodore trip in Winter, but I know people who have. The water level is what it is, so it is not a super exiting trip. You can count on it being cold so plan for that. I would not want to do it summer or winter without raft support.

I have done Split Mountain in March and you still need a permit to do it. There is obviously noboby else applying, so it is no problem to get one. I am sure the same is true for Lodore.

I have also done Westwater in February. It was not bad except the paddle out got fairly miserable. Of coarse that's not really much different from summer.

I'm not sure how to know if they are free of ice. When I went down Westwater I went with some peole from Grand Junction. For Split Mountain I knew people in Vernal, Ut who told me the ice came off the river below the canyon.

Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Westwater is usually good to go by the first of March. Lodore would be okay in winter but I'm not sure about ice in there in Jan and Feb. By March you should be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts