Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off Lodore, launched May 28th. Flow was around 3,000. The Lodore volunteer ranger was the worst I've ever experienced. The dude totally went by the book, so if you are going, be prepared for getting frisked. I had to open all my first aid kits, show every boats minor first aids, all throw lines, all repair kits, pumps, had to pull out firepan, show a fire blanket and kitchen cover. Basically everything in the book has to be shown and checked off.

If you are launching on Lodore, make sure you got EVERYTHING it states in the book.

We stayed at Triplet, Rippling Brook 2 (my new favorite camp now) and Island Park. All decent site. At current flow launching from Island park at 7:15am, we were at take out by 9:15am. Beat the take out craziness.

We used River Runners as transport and they did an awesome job for us as always, great company to run your shuttles.

Enjoy the good flows!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks Kazak, we launch on the Yampa on 4th. Lets hope the buggies stay away.

Yup, I feel like Santa checking the list, not once, not twice, three times for everything to satisfy Parks Service. I still worry about having the endless numbers of spare pfds, helmets, first aid kits (9!) etc and what if one of our 7 spare pfds looks a bit faded, ahhhhhhh! Better go check the major first aid kit, AGAIN!

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He went through EVERY pfd to make sure it stated Type V. Can't tell from all the crap I have hanging on it: toe line, knife, carabieners, whistle and bottom strap.... yup it's a ski pfd, sir, I will need a knife to cut a carp while water skiing.

I really don't think those volunteer camp organizers ever raft. The one that checked us, worked at Lodore for 6 weeks. My group had to control me to stop talking and letting the guy know that I have much more experience on "his" river than he does.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I know, I know. On one hand of course I want people to respect and care for the river and not be clueless but some of these Parks Service folks are so officious. There are a few of us in the party who will be biting our tongues so hard. This is stressing me out what if somewhere in the fray of wrangling a group someone forgets their minor first aid kit and we will be down to 8, good grief call off the trip.

Last year we were on the Selway a couple of weeks after the Yampa, we were asked if we had a toilet, shovel etc. Replied "sure, let us get them out to show you", response "no need, we believe you know the rules and will abide by them". Now that was a trip when 9 extra pfds might have come in handy at times.....I could have worn them all at once and still not been happy :roll:

·
Registered
323 Posts
This well pre-dates you. In the early 90s there was a fight over allowing hardsided canoes to make the trip. The head ranger told a couple who were US national OC-2 whitewater slalom champions they were unqualified to boat the canyon. It took letters from the ACA to Congress and NPS to change minds. Something about that park and ranger station is just off.

But, how do you get on a Lodore trip EVERY year.

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I've TLed many trips on different rivers and for some reason Lodore always stands out. It pays to be prepared and go by the book.

I've never drawn an official permit, it's always been cancellations for me. Sadly we missed the high flow Lodore (which I haven't seen yet) by a few days this year :( still 3k was pretty fun and smooth. Ingelsby (@11k) worked me though, I went middle and misjudged the rock.

·
DailyBoater
96 Posts
That volunteer ranger we had last year scrutinizd everything because he was bored being out there and wanting something to do

·
Registered
358 Posts
Plecoptera ha, I believe it. I remember back in the early 80s my husband's cousin having terrible trouble getting on a French ski lift with tele skis - imagine "no langlauf, no langlauf" in very excitable French accent. The guy could have knocked the socks off everyone on the blue runs even with 1980s skinny ski technology.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The ranger's rational started reasonably enough. There were lots of grumman and coleman aluminum and plastic cheap boats around. But they had royalex, had already run the GC in their boat, etc. He just had made up his mind, and didn't care about facts. It took a congressman or two to convince him it wasn't his canyon. That arbitrary attitude is one reason why NPS is in so much trouble. They already had enough enemies, they didn't need to work at pissing off their friends.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I remember the volunteer guy from last year. I hope I don't see him again. I'll just say that he seemed to revel in how important he knew he was to the Dino Monument.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi Kazak,
We launched the same day as you in a big orange Aire cat. I didn't deal with the ranger much, but our TL felt similarly about the check in. I appreciated how smoothly the take out was being run. The take out ranger was not going to let that ramp get clogged, he gave us two lanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Kazak,
We launched the same day as you in a big orange Aire cat. I didn't deal with the ranger much, but our TL felt similarly about the check in. I appreciated how smoothly the take out was being run. The take out ranger was not going to let that ramp get clogged, he gave us two lanes.

Oh hello :)

We pushed way early to take out (were there at 9:20am) knowing that we had to stack 3 full boats on one trailer. The take out volunteer did encourage us to move along, but gave us our sweet time to load everything without too much hassle.

Was your boat parked down the flow from us (Two green maravias)? Remember that Oars commercial trip? We pulled a prank on them at Rippling Brook, made their customers remember the trip for a while :twisted:

·
Registered
117 Posts
He went through EVERY pfd to make sure it stated Type V. Can't tell from all the crap I have hanging on it: toe line, knife, carabieners, whistle and bottom strap.... yup it's a ski pfd, sir, I will need a knife to cut a carp while water skiing.

I really don't think those volunteer camp organizers ever raft. The one that checked us, worked at Lodore for 6 weeks. My group had to control me to stop talking and letting the guy know that I have much more experience on "his" river than he does.
We made that trip last July. Only a few type 5 pfd's along. Do regulations require type 5? Glad you had a great trip and thanks for the info you gave us last year.

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We made that trip last July. Only a few type 5 pfd's along. Do regulations require type 5? Glad you had a great trip and thanks for the info you gave us last year.
Anytime I get a chance to give advice, I am all over it :lol:

On a permit it states III or V, I didn't want to take any chances. The type III usually doesn't have the bottom strap and rangers might have a problem with it. I've had type III as a spare jacket and I was still given a lecture about the bottom strap.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yeah Kazak. I was trying to make room on the ramp and didn't realize how mucky it was down there, or how much it would tick off the ranger.

What prank? Do tell!

·
Registered
325 Posts
we put on on the 25th, the volunteer ranger checked EVERYTHING! he rejected my spare pfd because it did not say paddling on it even though it was a III.
he made us pull out ALL pfd's, all throw bags, show the fire blanket and pan, kitchen matt, z drags, helmets for the kayak people, spare oars, etc...

·
aka The Curmudgeon
354 Posts
The PFD requirements aren't difficult, but they are twofold. They need to be a Type I or III or V but must also be labelled for a whitewater use such as paddling, rafting, etc. The official regs for Dino do not specify what the "etc" is.
I almost got denied once when we had an 87 lb youth along and did not have a spare PFD for her. The extra PFDs we had were for users 90 lb and up. He let us go, but it was tense for a while.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We launched on the 29th. Volunteer was not too harsh with us. He did not even look at out first aid kits, repair kits, fire pan and blanket or z drags. He was concerned with the number of life vests and our throw bags.

The ranger at the take out had a case of Little Man syndrome. We were the only ones on the ramp, using 2 of 5 lanes, and he was pushing us to hurry up.
Is there really a 30 min time limit? If so, I have never been told that before.

Guess he wanted to make sure there was ample room for the group behind us with the bikini clad girls.

·
Registered
587 Posts
We also launched on the 29th. The other private group parked their rafts on both sides of the ramp effectively blocking it. I approached them and they agreed to move to the downside and open up a space but never did.
Most inconsiderate! Then ARTA came in and blocked the ramp for nearly 3 hrs waiting for the bus to deliver their clients. Oh well.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Rangers

I was there last year and the group next to us had some kmart jackets for their kids they were trying to get past the ranger. He left the ramp and came back with some loaner jackets for the kids. Commented on his good service and he said he was just doing his job insuring the safety of boaters he was responsible for checking in.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts