Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what the bug situation is now. I know it has been worse than usual this year. My friends had a horrid time in June and got an update that they were still bad in late July. Figured they would have subsided by then.

I've been down this time of year before and it wasn't a problem. Just wanted to see if I should procure a cheap screen tent before heading out.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
429 Posts
We launch in 2 weeks and curious as well.

If you decide you want a cheap screen, Walmart has a 13' x 9' x 7'H for $37. Don't know the quality yet, but I expect it's servicable for at least one trip. If you want something bigger, you can get a 20' x 10' x 7'H for ~$70 at walmart.com, but I've not seen it in any of the stores I've been to.

·
"Just Read and Run Baby!"
77 Posts
I ran Lodore two weeks a go and the bugs were bad at the put-in
(mostly annoying buzzing flys and gnats) and at Island Park. The rest of the river was mostly bug free. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thought I'd give an update. Got off Sunday, 8/15. Never put up a tent.

Put-in - some small annoying guys that attacked light.
Upper river - windy evening, so no problem.
Echo park - they were around, so if you plan to hang in the shade before going to get water or explore have the bug spray ready.
Mid river - yellow jackets were very interested in dinner.
Hells scout - some of our group went for the upper eddy. There is a yellow jacket nest in the tree where you'd most likely tie your line. Use the lower eddy.
Jones - a few bugs, but not bad. There are some brave skunks hanging around though.
Island park and below - can't really say as we had a breeze for the float out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts