Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Utah has a stupid law about bringing booze across the state line, so what's the situation for taking alcohol on a river trip that crosses the line (Lodore specifically)? Anyone have an issue having empies or otherwise without the Utah sticker on-river or at the takeout? Do the rangers have any issue with non Utah bought booze at the put-in inspection?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Good advice. I like to put the enormous stack of cases of beer underneath a tarp during rigging instead of having it look like the Coors truck just made a delivery at the boat ramp.

I'm not trying for 100% stealth, I just don't advertise it to the ranger.

·
Registered
387 Posts
While it's not within their jurisdiction to enforce a states liquor laws, they could very well detain you and summon the proper authorities. Just don't give em a reason. There's a simple rule that should always be followed when in Utah - NEVER GIVE ANYONE PERMISSION TO SEARCH, INSPECT, ADMIRE OR OTHERWISE LOOK TWICE AT YOUR COOLER, VEHICLE, OR PERSON. Same goes for Colorado or any other state for that matter.

·
Registered
106 Posts
my suggestion, add up all the booze you 'think' you'll need and multiply by 2.5. Then throw in a bottle of whiskey. You can thank me later. Throw all the stuff into a dry bag / drop bag / trunk until you get inspected. Once they check the gear you won't see them again.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Once they check the gear you won't see them again.
Not true. The rangers at Lodore LOVE to follow you, camp with you, spy on you with binoculars, etc. I'm serious, alcohol should be allowed out there, but be careful.

If you have a bad experience with the rangers, please report it to their superiors. They are a bunch of douchebags.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts