Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Might be in the area 5/6-5/9. Was curious to know what the flows might be around that time. I see the flow is 8,860 cfs per American Whitewater. Do you think the river has already reached its peak for the year? How do you make flow predictions for this river? Anybody planning to paddle the Lochsa this week? There are two of us in our group but I prefer to paddle with atleast three people if possible. Just thought I would put some feelers out...

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Moriya

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
These forecasts are reasonably accurate:

No way, still quite a bit of snow in the high country. The Lochsa usually peaks around Memorial weekend, but we're getting a slightly earlier runoff this year, so I'm guessing a week earlier than that. (the little diamonds in the plot are average historic flows for that date and they trend upward in early May).

I'll miss this weekend, but there's almost always a big Missoula crew up there on weekends in the early season--I was down there 4/24...water was cold, but flows were great.

Cheers!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These forecasts are reasonably accurate:

No way, still quite a bit of snow in the high country. The Lochsa usually peaks around Memorial weekend, but we're getting a slightly earlier runoff this year, so I'm guessing a week earlier than that. (the little diamonds in the plot are average historic flows for that date and they trend upward in early May).

I'll miss this weekend, but there's almost always a big Missoula crew up there on weekends in the early season--I was down there 4/24...water was cold, but flows were great.

Cheers!
Sweet! Thanks so much for the beta!

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
About 2 hours or just under. ~15mi to Lolo, 29mi to the top of Lolo Pass, then 60mi at 55mph or less from the top of the pass down to Wilderness Gateway campground.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts