Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a couple of pictures of the Little Colorado on Mountainbuzz. Has anybody run this, or have any info on running it?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

jbyrd

·
Registered
580 Posts
I don't think it is illegal, you just have to have a permit to paddle out on the Colorado River. If there is enough water, you could run from Cameron to Blue Spring and hike out on the Blue Spring trail. Maybe have a helicopter pick you up?

·
Registered
558 Posts
my buddy just ran the Little c. they hiked out at desert view on the Colorado. he said the hike out made it not worth the trip. he is known for hiking long distances to get to runs. so i would trust his opinion on this matter. sounds like it would be good at about 2000+ cfs if you were meeting up with a permitted grand canyon trip and could do the whole grand canyon. also, hiking out at blue spring would cause you to miss most of the rapids as the good ones are in the last couple of miles before the confluence with the colorado.

nick

·
Charc in = charc out
475 Posts
based on chorter's experience & also that of another friend who suffered on the tanner trail (desert view), we opted out of this trip when we were in AZ last week.

budget 2-3 days of paddling, mostly flatwater, in a stunningly beautiful desert canyon ... then a FULL day, & then some, for the hike out (8-12 hrs with boat & gear).

chorter sez 3,000 - 4,000 cfs would make it more tolerable & quicker. know before you go that the water is NOT filterable (too much silt & minerals). you have to carry it with you (that's a lot of water). chorter's group ran out of water & got lucky by running into a nice rafting group on the grand that hooked them up prior to the 10 hr walk up & out. couldn't imagine doing that walk w/o water.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yep,
I would not reccomend the run unless you were going to meet a trip on the GC and couldn't make the first 1/2. The hike out is one of the physically toughest things that I have done. There is a short section of Travertine waterfalls and it is really pretty. But not worth the heinous hike.

Steve.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts