Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any one out there in whitewater world recommend some good reading material available for a greenhorn rafter, who wants to expand their knowledge and expertise on boating. Any thoughts on guide schools (around colorado) would help also. Not so much wanting to guide commercially, just expand my horizons in a safer manner. THANKYOU!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
If you can get your hands on a copy of "Western Whitewater" (Cassady, Cross, Calhoun)
or "The Floater's Guide to Colorado" (Wheat, Doug) or "River Running" (Huser, Verne), that will give you a book understanding of river terms, locations, etc.

Highly recommend "The Emerald Mile" by Kevin Fedarko...if you can't put it down, you are hooked...welcome to the river community.

·
Registered
55 Posts
lots of rafting outfitters charge to train and you can always just pay them their fee and be trained. I live up by Mile Hi rafting on clear creek and i think theirs is $500 and its a week on the Arkansas camping out.

·
God Amongst Men
1,993 Posts
The Floater's Guide is a great book. The "Kayak" series by Nealy is out of hand funny but also very informative and illustrated about river hydrology as much as kayaking. I always liked Whitewater!, but google "whitewater" or "rafting" into Amazon and you'll find a bunch. As always, the New Testament should be the first book you own.

Also, many river companies offer a training program during the early season; many of those guides later work out a plan to pay back the cost of the course but i think if you have money and are willing to play then they will let anyone take it. fly guides often do a guide training with some company and then open their own private fly guide tours company. money talks.

·
Super Moderator
3,048 Posts
These are some I really like.

Anything Worth Doing by outdoor writer Jo Deurbrouck: A true story of adventure & tragedy

Halfway to Halfway & Other River Stories: Bob Volpert, Dick Linford, Mike Burke, John Cassidy, Brian Chaffin, Rick Claussen, Steve Cutright, Joe Daly, Stephanie Ellis, Jerry Hughes, John Hunt, Mark Palmer, Mary Papale, Erin Ridle, Dan Steiner, Will V

I have extra copies of the above brand new if anyone is ordering. I am not very good at Amazon apparently. /spam.

Innocent on the Middle Fork: Eliot Dubois: 9780898861259: Amazon.com: Books

The May and June issues of Mountain Gazette usually have some great stories. I only found this one online. Nothing past 2012 and only select issues in Flashback.
May 2012

Being a hard copy reader I am still adjusting to online stuff but this search proved productive and I found a couple I haven't read.

Search Results - Mountain Gazette

·
Registered
157 Posts
Whether or not you're getting into this for the fishing, this book has a lot of good info on rowing rivers... Float-Fishing Strategies: Tactics and Techniques for Drift Boats, Rafts, and Pontoon Boats by Neale Streeks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
God Amongst Men
1,993 Posts
If you like them that's great but please don't push your agenda and own political views on other people. Let them make up their own damn mind. That's just as bad as pushing the bible on someone.

And the fact that you recommend "The Monkey Wrench Gang" on Kindle is just.......ironic beyond words.

Back on topic, another +1 for Emerald Mile. Great read.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I teach an interesting class at Fort Lewis College in Durango titled “Reading the River.” Although it focuses primarily on southwestern rivers and ecology, we do read quite a few essays and texts about rafting the Animas, the San Juan, the Green, and the Colorado.

One of the best books I’ve used in the class is Richard Fleck’s A Colorado River Reader. It’s an anthology of essays by explorers, conservationists, and rafting pioneers. These are some of my favorite essays and excerpts from Fleck’s book:

John Wesley Powell “From the Grand Canyon to the Little Colorado” pages 17-22
Frank Waters “Its Delta” pages 64-81
T.H. Watkins “The River Runners” pages 82-86
John McPhee “Encounters with an Archdruid” pages 87-96
Edward Abbey “Down the River with Henry Thoreau” pages 119-130
Georgie White “Conquering Glen Canyon” pages 97-111
Philip Fradkin “Canyon Country: The Ultimate Ditch” pages 112-118
Bill Beer “Rapids, Icewater and Fire” pages 131-143
Ellen Meloy “Gravity in a Fluid Medium” pages 144-155
Ann Zwinger “Badger Creek and Running Rapids” pages 156-166

All of these authors have written many, many books about rivers. You can just do an Internet search using their names to find other titles.

I’d also recommend the following books, which don’t necessarily focus on rafting, but provide wonderful portrayals, portraits, and discussions of river ecosystems and river life:

John Wesley Powell Beyond the Hundredth Meridian
Ed Abbey—he has lots of essays and books about floating rivers, such as Down the River. (Abbey is controversial, but he does have some influential ideas and memorable descriptions.)
Ellen Meloy Raven's Exile: A Season on the Green River
Ann Zwinger Run, River, Run: A Naturalist's Journey Down One of the Great Rivers of the West
James Aton and Robert McPherson River Flowing from the Sunrise: An Environmental History of the Lower San Juan
Steve Meyers San Juan River Chronicle
Colin Fletcher River: One Man's Journey Down the Colorado, Source to Sea

Some movies you also might find interesting:
Lost in the Grand Canyon: the story of Major Powell’s two exploratory trips down the Green and “Grand” rivers.
The Current : An informative documentary about rafting the Animas http://www.thecurrentfilm.org/

·
Registered
98 Posts
Literature and training

For used and out of print books, try abebooks.com. Search title or author. Only buy from 5-star rated book stores, as I have had good luck with all i've purchased from.
RE raft training, Colorado Mountain College's Glenwood Springs campus has a raft training class (titled River Orientation) that focuses on many facets of rafting, including rowing w/oar frames and paddle-captaining, reading water & scouting, safety, some rescue methods, and overnight camps. Two three-day weekends, Sept 5-7 (Glenwood Canyon day trips) and Sept 19-21 (overnight on Ruby-Horsethief). Cost is two credits (you are in CMC's district and if you are in-state resident it's $57/credit) plus a $212 charge (transportation, access permit surcharges, all food on the overnight weekend, and all raft equipment, including pfds).
Instructors are guide instructors in Colorado and can sign off students on guide training hours. We also offer a level 2 class in spring.
CMC operates on permits with the US Forest Service and BLM.
Call 970-947-8246 for more info.

Cheers.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I teach an interesting class at Fort Lewis College in Durango titled “Reading the River.” Although it focuses primarily on southwestern rivers and ecology, we do read quite a few essays and texts about rafting the Animas, the San Juan, the Green, and the Colorado.

One of the best books I’ve used in the class is Richard Fleck’s A Colorado River Reader. It’s an anthology of essays by explorers, conservationists, and rafting pioneers. These are some of my favorite essays and excerpts from Fleck’s book:

John Wesley Powell “From the Grand Canyon to the Little Colorado” pages 17-22
Frank Waters “Its Delta” pages 64-81
T.H. Watkins “The River Runners” pages 82-86
John McPhee “Encounters with an Archdruid” pages 87-96
Edward Abbey “Down the River with Henry Thoreau” pages 119-130
Georgie White “Conquering Glen Canyon” pages 97-111
Philip Fradkin “Canyon Country: The Ultimate Ditch” pages 112-118
Bill Beer “Rapids, Icewater and Fire” pages 131-143
Ellen Meloy “Gravity in a Fluid Medium” pages 144-155
Ann Zwinger “Badger Creek and Running Rapids” pages 156-166

All of these authors have written many, many books about rivers. You can just do an Internet search using their names to find other titles.

I’d also recommend the following books, which don’t necessarily focus on rafting, but provide wonderful portrayals, portraits, and discussions of river ecosystems and river life:

John Wesley Powell Beyond the Hundredth Meridian
Ed Abbey—he has lots of essays and books about floating rivers, such as Down the River. (Abbey is controversial, but he does have some influential ideas and memorable descriptions.)
Ellen Meloy Raven's Exile: A Season on the Green River
Ann Zwinger Run, River, Run: A Naturalist's Journey Down One of the Great Rivers of the West
James Aton and Robert McPherson River Flowing from the Sunrise: An Environmental History of the Lower San Juan
Steve Meyers San Juan River Chronicle
Colin Fletcher River: One Man's Journey Down the Colorado, Source to Sea

Some movies you also might find interesting:
Lost in the Grand Canyon: the story of Major Powell’s two exploratory trips down the Green and “Grand” rivers.
The Current : An informative documentary about rafting the Animas http://www.thecurrentfilm.org/
These are some great books. I would enjoy your class very much.

One minor edit, Beyond 100th Meridian is by Wallace Stegner. ANYTHING else by him is excellent, particularly Angle of Repose.

I would add, at the risk of being also accused of having an agenda, that while Emerald Mile IS a great read, much of the info, outside the actual rafting, was previously presented in Cadillac Desert by Marc Reisner, which is where IMHO anyone with an interest in Western water should begin.

·
Registered
899 Posts
The Guide's Guide by William McGinnis- not sure if its still in print these days.

Lots of great tips on everything from running rapids to dutch oven recipes.
Agree 100%. I used this book and River Otter, by Maria Eschen, for my main Salmon trip as the TL.

Lots of other great river stories books, including my two favorites:

There's this River and Hells Half Mile.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts