Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I was looking to upgrade my water jugs to the Scepter style jugs as I really like the cap and got tired of the cheaper ones leaking from the relief cap. I came across (https://www.grainger.com/product/53YJ23) and we had a local pickup in PDX. I think it is some kind of inventory listing error as I ordered (2) priced at $28 each and they are in fact HDPE Scepter water jugs like pictured. The same ones that usually sell for $50-60. So if anyone else is looking to pick some up, there you go!

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Hey folks, I was looking to upgrade my water jugs to the Scepter style jugs as I really like the cap and got tired of the cheaper ones leaking from the relief cap. I came across (https://www.grainger.com/product/53YJ23) and we had a local pickup in PDX. I think it is some kind of inventory listing error as I ordered (2) priced at $28 each and they are in fact HDPE Scepter water jugs like pictured. The same ones that usually sell for $50-60. So if anyone else is looking to pick some up, there you go!
The Grainger link says the manufacturer is "Ability One", which is a government program to provide employment for people with disabilities, so I assume not dissimilar to LCI?

https://www.abilityone.gov/

Is LCI private?

Edit: answered my own question. LCI works under the AbilityOne program.
https://www.buylci.com/about-lc-industries

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have you ever tried the Aqua Tamer? I have had 4 of them for a long time and they have held up well - 2 survived a flip at Crystal. They are so much easier to use than the others.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Have you ever tried the Aqua Tamer? I have had 4 of them for a long time and they have held up well - 2 survived a flip at Crystal. They are so much easier to use than the others.
Do you invert the lids for transport? I don't like to stick a dirty nozzle into my clean water...but could be washed/bleach dipped after filling before sealing.

I've been running mine next to my cooler and leave the nozzles up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I leave the lids up and have had no problems. They are strapped to decks on top of my cat tubes. It makes it easy if someone needs to top off during the day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried the LCI jugs, and the lids consistently cross-threaded. They never sealed correctly and were a PITA to deal with. Sent them back. Got the ones from Lexington and never regretted spending the extra $$.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I tried the LCI jugs, and the lids consistently cross-threaded. They never sealed correctly and were a PITA to deal with. Sent them back. Got the ones from Lexington and never regretted spending the extra $$.

Well, hell...I just ordered a couple from LCI last night. Hopefully they will work just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
I have 4 LCI 20 liter and 4 Lexington 10 liter, Never an issue with either

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bought 2 of these based on the recommendations on this thread and others. The report of cross-threading and leakage had me concerned. I took them on a week long trip, rigged laying on their sides, and they never leaked a drop. Can't tell any difference between these and my Scepters.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I also got a pair of the LCI 5 gallon jugs. They aren't exactly the same as the Scepter jugs. I didn't have cross thread issues, but I had to really crank the lids on to keep them from leaking. In this position, the vent cap is lower than the cap you dispense water from. Makes it a real pain to pour from. On the Scepter jugs, there is an inner plastic ring inside the decanting cap that fits over the vent cap. this lets you "park" the cap and keeps the it from swinging into your stream when you pour. The LCI jug caps don't park in this manner.
They are still solid heavy duty plastic jugs for a lot less. I usually end up decanting the water into one of the Scepter jugs, so it's not a huge issue for me. Just want everyone to know there is a difference.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I, too, needed to crank on the lid to keep it from leaking (which also made the vent lower than the cap). I did buy the Septor spigot, which made life easier. However, I had to be very careful on threading it correctly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I originally had to crank on my LCI lids to keep from leaking. There is a seam from the molding process on the big opening under the cap that was causing the leak. smoothed it out and leak disappeared.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got two of the LCI jugs - one seals just fine, though it also has the issue that the vent is lower than the dispense cap when tight. The lid on the other jug would not go on without cross-threading - I returned that one and got a refund.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bought the LCI jugs this summer and had to really crank down on the lids to keep them from leaking. I found some o-rings that seem to be working pretty well. They aren’t perfect and I do need to make sure they don’t “fall out” after unscrewing the lid. Anyhow, I have six extras. If you want one (or six) send me a message, and I’ll ship them off to you.

I also bought some o-rings for the pour spout (although mine were not actually leaking...just thought it might be a good idea to get them). I have six of these as well if you want. Just send me a message.

Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts