Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah - this could have been in a number of forums but I'm thinking it's the folks running the big rubber that will typically be hauling around those stoves. And yes...this assumes that the stove doesn't have an integrated lighter.

Anyway - anyone put some field time into a lighter they really like? I've been using the refillable (butane) torch candle lighters for lighting our stove but I've seen some nice electronic arc lighters out there as well.

Any reccos?

·
My name isn't Will
642 Posts
yeah - this could have been in a number of forums but I'm thinking it's the folks running the big rubber that will typically be hauling around those stoves. And yes...this assumes that the stove doesn't have an integrated lighter.

Anyway - anyone put some field time into a lighter they really like? I've been using the refillable (butane) torch candle lighters for lighting our stove but I've seen some nice electronic arc lighters out there as well.

Any reccos?
I use refillable lighters, but I want one of those propane trigger activated torches like this. Sweet way to light things.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
A few years ago I bought some piezo electric lighters with a flexible braided steel extension about 10 inches long. Worked awesome. Just looked for them again and can’t fine em. They were less than ten bucks if memory serves. Mine ended up in the TL’s kitchen box on a MS trip so I’m looking for another. A long extension is nice especially for lighting a blaster.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I am a gear tester and over the years I have wasted money on other stove brands most with automatic lighters and for me none of the automatic lighters work on a reliable basis.

My well used 4 burner and 2 burner Partner Steel stoves and the cheapest stick lighters Walmart has on sale just work. I buy several of the stick lighters and carry them in the cook kit. Every few years replace the rubber washers on the gas lines and the Partner Steel stoves are solid performers. For me the 4 burner is the main cook stove with the 2 burner doing coffee, heating dish water and just in case a backup.

·
Super Moderator
6,507 Posts
I'm with RichP. The welder's sparker thingy - no burned hair on the back of your hand, no plastic, refillable flints, simple, no gas to deal with, and just one of them will last you a lifetime.

Reactions: Kkayaker

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been using these piezo acetylene torch ignitors for years with no issues. I have one for my cutting torch, one for the parner stove, and one for the blaster:

I bought mine retail at a welding shop. The three I have were branded "Forney", but look the same as these. They make a pretty long spark. Put the beveled part flat on the stove, push the button, and it'll start right up. Attach a cable or small chain to it and hang it on your stove or table. See my windscreen post for some pics of that: DIY Partner stove wind screen

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, blaster ignition can be a bit sketchy. Especially if you are unfamiliar with the nuances of the gas control valve you are using. Major FOOFS can happen. A long nose lighter is a necessity IMO.
Not sure if the other blasters are the same design but this hole (see below) in the Woodland is nice since it will ignite the flame from the bottom and provides clearance even when there is a pot on the stove.

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Font

·
Registered
59 Posts
Haven't tried lighting the Woodland from the bottom like that with a pot on it. Good tip!

I don't have any problem with going from the top, but it's hard or exciting to light if the gas flow is too high for sure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Exciting is the word alright. The woodland kicks ass but it sounds like a jet. Can you adjust it down to a simmer on a big pot without sooting up the bottom?
To save weight, we skipped the Partner stove and just brought two Woodland stoves on a MFS trip this September (flying in post Ramshorn blowout). The Woodland stoves can be turned down quite a bit, but they get a little finicky and will go out or make soot if set too low. I brought a Camp Chef dutch oven dome and the diffuser that comes with: Black Dutch Oven Dome & Heat Diffuser Plate and More | Camp Chef

That diffuser plate really made it possible to cook with lower flame levels on the power stove and not have a hot spot in the middle (and not have the stove go out). It would be pretty easy to make one with some cold-rolled steel plate if you don't want to spring for the Camp Chef option. I think it would be key to drill some holes in it if you go that route. The dome thing is pretty cool though, especially if there's a fire-ban in place and you want to bake something in a DO.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 35 Posts