Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently returned from a long trip where we cooked and washed dishes in the dark most nights. It was nice to have lights in the kitchen and not need to rely on headlamps. I would lash an oar to the table with a strap for a light pole to get the lights up higher for better illumination. I'm kinda lazy and I thought there had to be a be an easier way to set up the pole. When I got home I cut a hole in my table big enough to accomodate an oar. Just drop an oar through the hole and it's done. Since my tabletop is a sheet of aluminum, I trimmed the hole with vinyl tubing and hot glue so that the oar wouldn't get scratched. This is probably not necessary if your tabletop is plywood.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I think the oar might be too heavy if it were windy--wouldn't want it to tip my table.
I'd probably implement it with a thinner pole.
But I think it's an awesome solution, love the simple grommeted hole!

·
Registered
14 Posts
We used a Lucy solar string light for the kitchen on a recent GC trip and every kitchen crew loved it. Pretty easy to find places to hang the string from and the distributed lights are easy on the eyes. I like the idea of a hole in the table for a pole though; that would have been useful at a couple of camps.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The best pole I've found for night lighting is a tiki torch stick with a lit tiki torch on top of it. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The hole in the table with an oar inserted is a great solution especially good for one of the large wooden outfitter type tables. I have one of the big outfitter tables and they are good to work off of but big and heavy for me to transport. I have switched to the roll up aluminum slat type tables because they are for me at least, easier to transport. Thanks to BigHorn's link, I ordered one of the very light weight clamp on poles which I think will work well for me on my roll up tables. Thanks to both Wadeinthewater and Bighorn for really good tips.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do you get the blade thru the hole?
Blade needs to be removed. I usually float with no blades in my spares in my big boat. Obviously wooden oars and squaretops will not work.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
How do you keep the tiki touch from leaking fuel all over while on the river?
I put the tiki cans in a fat 50 cal ammo can. I sometimes dump them back into the fuel can before I pack them away, but if I'm in a hurry, I throw them in loaded and worry about the mess at the next camp. With a funnel you can refill them with whatever spilled out of them and is in the bottom of the ammo can. It sounds like a mess....and it is. Key to setting up tikis is to set up the hand wash station before you start. ;)

I can fit up to 6 tiki can plus funnel and four sand stake holders in one ammo can. I have three 1 gallon fuel cans that fit perfectly in the fat 50 ammo cans. I get about 3 to 4 nights out of a gallon depending on how many tiki's I deploy per night.

For fuel I have gone to using diesel from the gas station. It puts out more smoke than the official fuel and I think does a better job of running the bugs off. :cool:

I took a couple of old chair bags and mated them together to make a really long bag to put the tiki torch sticks in.

At night I'll put three or so in the kitchen and 1 next to the dish washing station. Sometimes depending on the situation or camp site, I'll put a couple behind the circle of chairs for site lighting.

I can post some pictures of my set up if you want to see it.

I use those lifestyle white folding tables and drilled holes in all 4 corners to strap them to the boat. I put tikis in the table holes to light up the kitchen. Wally World sells these nifty sand stakes that you put in the ground to hold the tiki sticks for the one's I don't put in the table holes.

Usually at night the wind dies down on rivers like the Green and Colorado and the tiki's set the mood. If not I have a small backup ammo box full of various LED light strings. I call the box "back up plan A". Plan "B"....... where's your headlight??? :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the great ideas on lights and poles guys!
I carry a set of 1" extension poles that I use with my River Wing - if I'm not using the wing, I pull them out and use them to hold Black Diamond LED lanterns. If the wing is up, I put up a couple of strings of ENO LED string lights.
Bug technique - if the bugs are awful, we don't put any lights in kitchen or sitting area - but a few feet away - close enough to cast light to see, but attract the bugs away.
Wadeinthewater - Carvedog is an old waterdog - he got you with that sly, "How do you get the blade thru the hole?" Watch him, he probably has sky hooks for sale...

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wadeinthewater - Carvedog is an old waterdog - he got you with that sly, "How do you get the blade thru the hole?" Watch him, he probably has sky hooks for sale...
;) I know. I expected him to come back with something more. The Buzz gets kinda dull this time of year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts