Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this post before in some of the older versions of the buzz, but maybe that old forum data is gone, since a search did not turn anything up. Anyways, I have had an issue with a lifejacket knife case that would break when my hand or paddle hit the handle hard, and then I would ahve a sharp knife in the bottom of the raft or at the bottom of the creek. I believe it was a Kershaw amphibian or something like that. Sorry I don't remember the type. Maybe Zach can remember? Anyways, now I have the Benchmade River rescue knife, and I like it. I am sceptical about the release on the holster though. It has not failed, but seems like it could. You can pull the knife out of the holster without releasing the catch. Anyone had an issue with losing this knife? The reason I like this knife is the bright yellow handle, and the design of the blade allows you to slide the flat edge agaisnt your skin without slicing yourself in case you have to cut a rope off of yourself underwater. Anyone have suggestions for knives to get my girlfriend for her lifejacket? Something too big and cumersome is bad. Something with two cutting edges is not so great. Suggestions? Good/bad experiences with knives people should know about? Does anyone use titanium blades or true dive knives? Does a titanium knife hold an edge? how easy to sharpen? Thanks in advance for the beta.

·
CRKT Bear Claw Knife......... This is my current personal favorite because of the hole in the handle for a secure grip and the blunt end. It's also fairly small. Do a google search and you can find it in many places. It comes in several different versions, so be sure to order the correct one.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
There was a post last spring from a guy that had a close call on Bailey. His skirt got snagged on something during a swim and he had to cut through it with his knife to escape (you can search for the thread). Anyway, an interesting comment from that was he was using, I think, a Bear Claw knife, which has a finger hole in it. He was in the water for quite a while, and he said if he hadn't had the finger hole, his hands were so numb he wouldn't have been able to hold onto the knife.

I've used the Gerber River shorty. Never had to use it in a rescue situation (luckily), but I keep it on my vest all the time and never had it fall out. Also it's blunt tip which may be nice for rafting, one-sided, and it's relatively inexpensive. When I did my research, there was no real consensus on the best knife - pick your poison.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
checked it out (Bear claw). doesn't look like much of a peanut-butter spreader or cheese cutter. Not that that is what the rescue knife is FOR, but let's face it; that's 95% of what they get used for. I see some bumps along the back of the blade. Those aren't serrations are they? Thumb grips? Can you slide the blade along your skin? Not that it's bad to be unable to use the knife for cutting cheese; means it will be sharp when you need it to.

·
Registered
396 Posts
what about knife clips? anyone know what does and doesnt work?
i know of one knife that fell victim to waterfall impact this year, if you go diving at the punchbowls, heads up

·
Registered
795 Posts
It was because of that thread last spring that I checked out the Bearclaw and bought it. Feels super solid in hand. The serrations on the top are just for no-slip grip, thumb rest. I feel like I could saw through a tree with this baby!! It is a pretty small knife (which I like), my only beef is that the tip is slightly rounded (i.e. not the best if you need to puncture something). Easily remedied, however. Nope, it won't spread P-butter very well, and cuttin' cheese would be a bitch since it's slightly curved. Great knife, A+ from me.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Your right, it wont cut cheese for crap. Its a very limited use knife but if that time comes, I believe its the one I want to be there.

·
no tengo
1,878 Posts
for peanut butter spreading nothing beats the gerber river shorty with the blunt tip. I have had mine for years and it never fell out of the clip. once i had an emergency cheese entrapment and was able to cut right through the plastic cheese wrapping and get the cheese to a hungry rafting customer in no time. saved the day.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Word to the wise, the CRKT bear claw was designed for self defense, especially for women. That doesn't mean you can't use it on the river, but the blade might corrode with a couple years constant immersion and the mechanism by which you would stick the case to your jacket is not very secure. Maybe they've changed that, I dunno. It's a good little knife, I've had one since they came out years ago, but I use a stainless gerber on the river. Actually, I've never really used it and hope I never will. I dive into the PB with my fingers, holmes. But I've always found it best to use things for the purposes for which they were designed. (ie, fingers were clearly designed for smearing PB on bread)

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,485 Posts
p, ari has the bearclaw. she attached it to her pfd w/ zip ties and its solid. i like the finger hole idea for cold hands. it stays in the sheath well and is small and stays out of the way. i dont know about longevity of the sheath lock system. the knife locks into the sheath via a little ball thingy and seems like it could wear out over many extractions. as mentioned it is a pretty limited use knife so taking it out of the sheath often and wearing out the catch is moot, as it really is a rescue knife. as you know i have been a long time advocate of the benchmade that we have. the thing is a spreading machine, holds an edge well and the sheepsfoot blade cant be beat. however, the damn sheath is a concern. i have been up benchmades ass to get me a new one and or fix the design and they keep failing. a few people on the omo had the benchmade and all of them that i played with were fairly loose. i think for Un the bearclaw is the way to go. if the shit does hit the fan she wont lose her grip on the thing and she will be able to slide it between skin and rope. it has a little round nub at the point that would keep it from cutting into skin and the shape of the blade helps that cause as well. also this keeps her from using it as a spreader/ lunch cutter which really is a good habit, especially for people who are lacking in knife sharpening ability. we are rafters dude, we can carry a lunch knife in our ammo can or better yet the cooler. it is serrated and sharp as shit so she would have confidence in cutting your sorry ass out of a tangle. now get off the net and go shoot that damn elk so you can get your asses down here. plz

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,485 Posts
p, ari has the bearclaw. she attached it to her pfd w/ zip ties and its solid. i like the finger hole idea for cold hands. it stays in the sheath well and is small and stays out of the way. i dont know about longevity of the sheath lock system. the knife locks into the sheath via a little ball thingy and seems like it could wear out over many extractions. as mentioned it is a pretty limited use knife so taking it out of the sheath often and wearing out the catch is moot, as it really is a rescue knife. as you know i have been a long time advocate of the benchmade that we have. the thing is a spreading machine, holds an edge well and the sheepsfoot blade cant be beat. however, the damn sheath is a concern. i have been up benchmades ass to get me a new one and or fix the design and they keep failing. a few people on the omo had the benchmade and all of them that i played with were fairly loose. i think for Un the bearclaw is the way to go. if the shit does hit the fan she wont lose her grip on the thing and she will be able to slide it between skin and rope. it has a little round nub at the point that would keep it from cutting into skin and the shape of the blade helps that cause as well. also this keeps her from using it as a spreader/ lunch cutter which really is a good habit, especially for people who are lacking in knife sharpening ability. we are rafters dude, we can carry a lunch knife in our ammo can or better yet the cooler. it is serrated and sharp as shit so she would have confidence in cutting your sorry ass out of a tangle. now get off the net and go shoot that damn elk so you can get your asses down here. plz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Love the bearclaw

:lol:
I have this knife in my Astral vest. I wasn't sure about the clip so I used the rope that came with the knife and tied it to the sewn in loop in the front pocket. Super easy access and no fear of it falling out.

The knife is great everything I want in a river rescue knife: secure hold on it with both the finger hole and the thumb edges; curved blabe makes it easy to cut through things even when I am not looking; serrated edge gives me the ability to control the cut; blunt tip means I'm not going to stab myself....YAY! even mom likes it
-tim

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
Perry,

I don't know that much about the Bearclaw except that from what I heard about it the only thing that's kept me from getting one for the wife (yep!) is that Confluence was out of stock. I'll second what Zach and BSOE said about using it for what it was intended - I think its a bonus to have a knife that discourages one from using for slicing salami and spreading PB&J.

Good luck with those last minute stocking stuffers!

--Andy

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Bearclaw Knives

We have the black Bear Claw knives in stock. For 2007 they will start making the Bearclaw available in Blaze Orange. Available middle of next month.

Russ Kommer designed the knife he lives in Anchorage, AK and originally designed the knife to be "easy to hold and hard to lose". One demographic group was women in self defense, but bush pilots and commercial fishermen became his biggest clients. The women choose to stick with mace and cell phones speed dial set to "911".

We brought in the Bear Claw about around 4 years ago, and told NRS to start carring the knife (I even took their buyer over to CRK&T's booth at OR). The main reason for bringing the knife was because of it's shape, size, and construction. I've been wearing mine for 4 years with NO corrosion. The biggest reason is because the Gerber River Shorty failed to stay in it's sheath. WE just had too many customers losing their knives on the river.

The Bearclaw is a great knife and has already saved at least one person in CO. Plus, it's cheap at $40.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts