·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Life Preserver for Cell phone.

Does anyone have one of these?

Evaluation please and thank you.

=======

Is anything like this available for Samsung phones?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
We use a small clear dry box- has a padded foam liner. Holds my Note3 and her S4 together. Floats

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just make sure that your phone wears the damn thing. It's really not that big a deal. I know your phone looks cool without one but what kind of example. Just kidding. 😜 that looks like a good idea Bill what is the make of that case?

Jim

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that is by Life Proof.

Their waterproof case is below the PFD.
I think the iPhone waterproof case goes for something like $80 Amazon and the Life Preserver for about $40.

That is for an iPhone.
I'd like to protect my Samsung Galaxy S4.
I buy behind the technology but still want to protect my investment.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I use the Life Proof case and definitely like it. I have not submerged a phone in one but it's gotten wet a lot. I often leave it out in the rain plugged into a job site radio. I just replaced my scratched and very beat up one after a year plus. The phone looks absolutely new. I think I would try the life jacket. I do float with my phone enough (camera and music).

Jim

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
The following is based on my observations. I use my devices and I abuse my devices. If a case is "waterproof" ie: IP-68, then I trust that the claim is true and use the device / case as it is advertised.
I have been a fan of LifeProof (an OtterBox Company). I got my wife the original Fre case, it was great, but fell apart. The big problem with the Fre, was that it had a built in screen protector. After much wear and tear, the Fre fell apart. I then got her a Nuud case. It is great. The Nudd does not have a screen cover, as the gasket is around the screen. It has held up much better. So I bought a Nuud case for my iPad mini. I also got the life preserver and the Cover+Stand. The whole package is great. I had it in Avalanche Ranch Hot Springs yesterday and on Carbondale to West bank family float trip. I took pictures, streamed music to an EcoXBT waterproof / BlueTooth speaker and took a few reservations for the oxygen business as I sat in the hot springs and floated down the river.
My only beef with LifeProof is the yellow charging port door gasket. It falls out (has happened to 2 cases) You then have to send LifeProof an RMA with the serial numbers from the inside of the case (1 on the front part and another of the back part inside the case) Life Proof will then ship you a whole new case and a container and shipping label to send back the old one. In these cases, I did not need a whole case, only the yellow gasket. They would not ship me a gasket without the serial numbers and then sent a whole case. I find that this is wasteful and unnecessary. At some point, I might need to warranty the whole case, but I don't want them to think I am abusing their generous warranty process when I only needed a $.50 gasket. I told them I would happily pay, but they refused.

I also have a Seidio Obex case for my Samsung Galaxy S4. I have used this case for the last 10 months. It is SOLID. in and out of the water. I had a skateboard accident and my phone bounced 40 ft across the street and still works. Had a few scuff marks, but nothing that compromised the case. Very impressed with it.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Another happy LifeProof customer here; also just replaced mine due to a year of scratches.

I dislike the charging port cover/clip as it is a bit tight on aftermarket charging plugs.

·
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
621 Posts
Mine usually stays pretty dry when I put it in the nice waterproof box between my driver's and passenger's seats, I think most cars come equipped with this feature these days... I know it sucks to not be able to tweet, "Wow that was an awesome face full of Poudre! #facefullofpoudre #riverlife4ever #mylifeisrad #isneoprenereallybetterthencottenhmmmm" or update your FB status to "Currently deep in Sarah's Suckhole, not sure what the outcome may be here, but I may need to see a doctor later, and yelp suggestions out there?" but I guess I'll have to live without a floating, waterproof phone for just a little longer... Well at least until there is 4G up in the canyon I guess, if I can't stream Game of Thrones what's the point really.

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
Paul the Rafter, I don't need to tweet or post on Facebook, but I do need to answer emails and answer phone calls all day long. I can do this from my house, the office, or on the river. Sometimes, I would rather be out doing something fun, rather than sitting at my desk. Now my job allows for this to happen, so I might want to take advantage of it. Thus, I have been overjoyed that I can get service on some parts of the river and this created a need for me to protect my devices. To each their own. I'll happily get paid to do my job and enjoy time on the river #JelousMuch

·
Registered
30 Posts
I little bit of rubber cement under that yellow gasket solves that issue. Have had lifeproof replace many over the years until I got out the rubber cement.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
aka The Curmudgeon
354 Posts
30 Cal ammo can. Waterproof. Floats. Makes it very difficult to get at the damn thing.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Haha ya #ispendmylifejealousofothers. Just saying if my buddy was texting from the eddy I'd grab his phone and sink it. Anyway I was joking to begin with but #whygototheriverifyouhavetoworkwhileyouronit

I think a better question would be why not!!!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think a better question would be why not!!!
One nice feature with these phones is connectivity to your GoPro.
Having someone other than the oarsman monitoring the camera and recording is a nice benefit without having to touch the camera.

The cameras also take OK photos for later mailing to friends.

But you knew that.
Be nice if everyone did.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I little bit of rubber cement under that yellow gasket solves that issue. Have had lifeproof replace many over the years until I got out the rubber cement.
Not that anyone should do this.
But one could take out the yellow gasket. Send in the case for replacement.
Then secure the new gasket in place while having a spare.

=======

The Life Proof products seem top drawer.
I wonder why something as simple as gluing in a gasket with an appropriate glue OR allowing people to buy a new gasket are not allowed.

Must be some sort of problem with warranty.

·
Super Moderator
2,849 Posts
I've tried several. I've settled on the bigger otter box defender. It is bulky but more drop worthy. I've had two warranteed for trouble being heard and this one is getting there. It did survive a 12' drop to dirt. I should
Say the phone was protected from said fall. The case did not survive. I paddled with it, knowing it was compromised and totaled the phone. Duh. None of the others look anywhere near as burly.

-Dave
(Seven two 0) 298-2242

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lol, my kid also has a lifeproof on her I5S. When traveling in France she got bumped while taking a picture on top of a 3 story monument (98 steps to the top). It Fell down and landed on a gravel path. lifeproof case took damage but iPhone still in working. Not a single crack on the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 17 of 17 Posts