Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed up from CO to run the MFS in early July, and have heard some rumblings about green and white plates getting some extra attention in some neighboring states. I probably won't be holding but might be driving a van full of rafters and kayakers and don't want to have an epic before we get to the river.

So I have 2 questions:
1- for the general buzz populace:
What's the word? Are folks getting hassled? Been pulled over and searched? Know someone directly who has? How aggressively?

2- for any lawyers or LEOs out there:
What are the consequences if I'm driving my van and a passenger has a pocket full of contraband? If it's on their person am I good to go, or am I responsible/ is my van subject to seizure?

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
I have heard of friends being pulled over and searched for no good reason other than their plates in Kansas and right at the NM state line on 285. Also had several friends harassed, searched and taken to jail while parked at trailheads in Utah...

·
El Chupanibre
135 Posts
I read an article where neighboring states, especially in border areas been targeting the green and white plates. Crossing state lines with contraband is never a good idea. It's even a worse idea if you are rockin the pot plates because we know we are being targeted. I'd put my potheads in a vehicle with plates from some other state.
If I were buckin for the Ojo Caliente, NM officer of the month, I'd probably try to pad my stats with a few arrests for marijuana possession, and what easier way than pulling over a few kayakers or rafters because they probably going to need to supplement their fun with chemicals. The nervous driver is holding and the relaxed driver is stoned, that's reasonable suspicion in some of these backwater law enforcement agencies with very shallow gene pools.
Sincerely,
OldandBitter
Colorado Separatist and Curmudgeon

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's happened to me. Crossing through Monticello on the way back from Moab... That place is home to "Little Rock". Got profiled stopping for gas, pulled over right away for not using my turn signal at 10 pm. Then immediately asked to search the vehicle. Had about 7 bikes and a whole truck full of gear and simply told him that if he pulled everything out he'd have to put it back in. Him and another guy searched the cab until they got fed up and let us go. Other vehicle had all the stones in it.

Anyways, it happens. Be careful in UT border towns.

·
Registered
362 Posts
MFS

We always drive to Jackson on the way to the MFS takes an additional 45 min and you never drive in Utah. Don't smoke in van and put the weed in a locked pelican case deep in the gear pile. If the drugs are in someones personal locked box you will not held accountable they will. It was a 50 spilf trip this May no problems at all.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Yes. WY and ID can be problematic. Follow the traffic laws and make sure your car/trailer are up to snuff with plates, tags and lights etc. Don't give them a reason to pull you over and you should be gravy.

·
El Chupanibre
135 Posts
The data in Wyoming is specific to 2 counties on the 1-25 corridor. Almost all 2 out of every 3 pot busts are in Laramie and Converse Counties. I guess the big issue is that it is illegal in those states, so why risk ruining a trip before it begins. Exercise some restraint while passing through, and support an Idaho pot producer by purchasing the stuff locally. I'm sure some worker in with a local outfitter might have a connection.
I love Wyoming, I wish it would love me back.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
64 Posts
Go to Westword.com and read about Idaho profiling.One guy only had his blinker on for 4 seconds,instead of 5,while changing lanes on the interstate.I would'nt call this dumb driving,but profiling because of CO plates.Another video shows two guys spending an hour on the side of the interstate,so that the cops could pull EVERYTHING out of their car,and confiscate their 8th of weed.Then officers politely tell them they can repack their car.:confused:

·
Registered
451 Posts
holding

Van+Kayaks+Co,plates?

Your doomed just fckn doooooomed.

I sure wouldn't want any nuggets on board, especially the pungent smelling hydro that is being grown in this state. Reefer sniffing hound is going to be barking a mile away.

Maybe you could pack it in a PCV groover along with some poooh. That would knock them back ehh?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Just decline the search. You have that right, unless you've given them some form of 'probable cause', like pinholes in your shirt. :D

if you decline a search, You'll have 5 squad car and 3 dogs circling your car faster than you can eat a bag of Colorado cookies. Just get a jar of peanut butter and peal back the foil seal. Hollow out the peanut butter, insert double bag of what ever, cover with peanut butter, melt bp in the sun to get factory look and super glue foil seal back on. Twist lid on tight and store next to unopened new jar of jelly and wonder bread! Don't be smoking on the road and let them search your car. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts