Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have a pretty good handwash station thread going already. I thought I would see what folks have going as far as making their own groovers. I've seen a few pics of really stellar Johnny knock-offs but I wanna see the ammo cans, the tubes, the buckets and whatever else y'all have crafted up to crap in.

I'm thinking to make up two groovers Grand Canyon style in the style of Canyon REO. 25mm(if I can find them) or 30mm Ammo cans. Two for catching poo and one to hold the seat and supplies. What do y'all think, is it worth it to go with the 30mm over the 20mm ammo can for that extra little bit of crapacity?

What say you?

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
The 20mm "rocket box" can hold all I want to carry.

And they get quite heavy as well. We took a 30MM on my latest grand trip as I couldn't find a 20 on short notice, it worked well but was REALLY heavy when full. I think the best accessory one can have is a riser to allow the seat to be raised about 6 inches in order to completely fill the can.

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
523 Posts
Here is ours. 30mm box.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sorry to ask the obvious - but I've just never been clear on this:

An ammo can covers the reusable? (Even if it doesn't have a cleanout other than opening it?)

An ammo can covers the double wall?

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
523 Posts

An ammo can covers the reusable? (Even if it doesn't have a cleanout other than opening it?)

We use the scat machine most times but I have a lid with a clean out as well. I am not aware of a double wall requirement. Even the $800 Johnny is still single wall.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Haha thanks for clarifying pre-use.

I think the riser is key for the Grand - you want to be able to (comfortably) get those last few inches of use. That may be your challenge!

We were able to get max 5 days for 12 people out of one 20mm can with a riser and some light tapping when you 'close it up' for the day to settle everything and level it out. For 21 days we filled up 4 cans and were working on the 5th, and had a spare 6th can. Obviously the 30mm cans will hold more but you'll also have to custom rig a way to carry them as many groover storage bags are built for 20mm.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Haha thanks for clarifying pre-use.

I think the riser is key for the Grand - you want to be able to (comfortably) get those last few inches of use. That may be your challenge!

We were able to get max 5 days for 12 people out of one 20mm can with a riser and some light tapping when you 'close it up' for the day to settle everything and level it out. For 21 days we filled up 4 cans and were working on the 5th, and had a spare 6th can. Obviously the 30mm cans will hold more but you'll also have to custom rig a way to carry them as many groover storage bags are built for 20mm.

What is a groover storage bag?!?!?!? Never heard of anyone putting the groover in a bag, unless you're referring to a drop bag in the boat?

Not trying to be a smart ass, just curious.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Groovy Art

Not exactly DIY for functionality, but DIY for aesthetic... My daughter painted these cans. The bus is the eco safe can. The Pink Floyd can is for supplies.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I thought about building a Johnny clone, but $300 in pipe fittings before I even got started, and I passed on the idea.

Went with an EcoSafe for more frequent use (weekends and small group multidays) and will use a 20mm can for the big trip should I pull a permit.

I'll DIY damn-near anything, but outside of building a nice seat for a 20mm can, am passing on DIY-ing this round.

I appreciate Whitewater Worthy's accessory box. IMHO dedicating the time and space to a 20mm can for your seat and TP is a waste of volume and weight (unless your plan is that it doubles as a spare tank). Accessories could be in a much narrower/lighter ply/plastic/aluminum box. If you think about it, your seat can get wet; you just want dry TP.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts

We use the scat machine most times but I have a lid with a clean out as well. I am not aware of a double wall requirement. Even the $800 Johnny is still single wall.
First I’ve heard of the double wall requirement was last summer on the Rogue. They didn’t like my gamma-lidded 5-gal bucket because it wasn’t double walled. They gave me a handful of wag bags to use. Maybe plastic should be double walled?

·
Registered
819 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
I built these for my eco safe groover and seat, one for each. That way I could save weight, hang from frame and tie down. Less than 1/2 the weight of a surplus rocket box.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts