Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know the fued but lets hear the pros/cons. They both have good qualities but i want to hear some of the less heard qualities. Im a beginner kayaker and was thinking a raft would be fun
so I decided it would be fun to see what comes up
Luke

·
Registered
89 Posts
I enjoy both. In the spring and early summer, I use my creek boat for the adrenaline and adventure that i crave, and then I use my raft for the longer overnighters in the summer. Now that I am older (24) I find appreciation in having my own rig on the river with everything i need: beer, water, food, herb, etc. and rowing some nice III+ IV water, (Westwater, Cat, Hells Canyon type shit) seeing as how I am not an BV pro, is a huge rush. Completely different high than a kayak. I say, learn to kayak and rafting will be easy. You can always bring along the XXX for the killin' play.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Due to recent threads I am going to say rafts. Sounds like fun.

·
Super Moderator
2,850 Posts
Definately need both. Obviously kayaking is WAAAY cooler. you can always run much haarder stuff in a kayak and the logistics are so much simpler.

As alacy1 said rafts have there place too.

Great to be able to pack it all and not have to defend what you brought along to the uppity rafter who is carrying your shit.

Much more comfortable for long periods on the water, and much better place to have a drink holder and an umbrella in the dessert.

I don't overlook the challenge of rowing a heavy raft through slightly difficult whitewater either. If you are a decent kayaker, rowing is much more of a challenge and keeps it interesting on easier water, provided there is not tons of play to miss out on.

Honestly one of the worst parts of rafting is all the cleaning and the putting away of stuff that seems to linger on for half a week after a trip.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Rafts are fun to take friends and family down the river, you can carry more beer, it is more social and relaxed and it is easy to get paid to do it.

Kayaking is cool because you can go places rafts can't go, it is more of an individual sport and if you want to do something stupid than it is just you doing something stupid.

They are both fun, get one of each!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah, dave franks comments are pretty spot on with the exception that kayaking is way cooler. both are very cool with the exception of playboaters,of course. :twisted: :p

downside to rafting is that rafters tend to get stuck with all the logistics, planning, extra work of loading,rigging,unloading, dealing with the group poop(as in groover), the hours of gear checking/sorting/cleaning before and after a trip, dealing with the permit proccess and having the required permit gear at the launch. Along with the slight pressure that if you screw one thing up/forget one thing then you've ruined allot of people's vacation or weekend. Rafters tend to be better at all this too. Probably all the years of experience dealing with it and initially seemingly complex permit proccesses that become routine over time.

However, it an awesome feeling pushing out into the current at some hectic put in, putting the oars in the water ,relaxing abit and then disappear around the bend for a week of river camping, great food /beverage, whitewater and good company. It's all very worthwhile,at that point.

I should add that it is true that rafts and the whole rafting experience tends to make chics horny too. The booze,the warm sun, good food and going down a river all cleopatra style seems to get them going abit.

·
Registered
258 Posts
OK, here is my take. I have had my raft about eight years now. I do 1-2 multi day trips a season with 10 or so "day runs". Well I gotta tell you, i'm sick and tired of watching all you kayakr's going by me and having all that fun. Now I want to kayak. Hopefully I can have the best of both worlds. Doesn't seem that hard to strap the kayak on the back of the raft for long flatwater sections. How hard is it to learn to kayak anyway?:confused:

Skyman

·
ITS GONNA BE BIG!!!!
109 Posts
Rafts are a lot of fun and you can deffinatly haul more shit. Kayaks are small and dont have a whole lot of storage. The best thing is to have a raft carry all your shit while you have fun in a kayak. Having a raft around is not a bad thing, but I think having a kayak and a raft is ideal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd have to place a vote for my ducky! I love kayaking to but I also like having maneuverability and being able to carry gear.
I can still surf and run BIGger water like I am in my kayak, all while having my cooler full of beer right there. :p

That said, I think rafts and kayaks are both great. Being able to do both makes you a well-rounded "waterperson."

This reminds me of the Longboard vs Shortboard argument in the surfing community. My friends never understood why I did both.

·
ITS GONNA BE BIG!!!!
109 Posts
I'll go with that a Duckie can be a lot of fun my wife paddles a Duckie. THats how I haul my gear.:cool:

·
Registered
247 Posts
TLMSB, has in NAILED. There is nothing like a raft, BUT there is SOOOOOO much shit that comes with it. IMHO, I truley belive thats where a lot of the Kayaker/rafter beef comes from. I have been on trips where some of the kayakers, just expected us rafters to take care of it, and i have been on trips where the kayakers, rip all day, super solid, and say, "we'll be at camp", and say adios........then they come, hand me an un-opened bottle of makers mark, and tell me to sit down..........I prefer a closer idea to the later, but just cause i have all the shit, dosn't mean i need, want or git to sit on my ass.

as far as the "vacation" idea of it, thats crap............its an expedition, not a vacation. If you wanna vacation, pay a commercial crew to run you down, simple as that.

BTW, I row a big rig, and if you have a good eye, you can see my angst squirt boat, in my avatar.

Yo!

·
Registered
137 Posts
as far as the "vacation" idea of it, thats crap............its an expedition, not a vacation. If you wanna vacation, pay a commercial crew to run you down, simple as that.
just semantics. i get 4 weeks of vacation a year. my vacations are usually spent on multi-day trips or rafting, climbing and fly fishing expeditions(expeditions-places that don't have guidebooks or much beta) or something else where I come back to work needing a real "vacation" to recover from my vacation. ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Both are awesome activities. Both have pros and cons. As a former raft guide and a raft owner I can say that rafting will always be special to me hanging out floating down a canyon in serenity is a very unique way to spend time. Then the partying is always real good in camp. Cons as has been mentioned rigging, total gear, permits have all been mentioned. One that hasn't been talked about is the cost, an adequate river set up will cost a minimum of $5000 retail, maybe less if you go used. Ouch. Kayaking is far more affordable, though still expensive you can count on about a grand for essentials if you go used. Running tighter lines, surfing, among others are things that I enjoy. Fighting for time with tubers(sometimes), dodging rafts(sometimes), gear storage can be tricky, and though the learning curve can be managed, it is not an easy sport to learn. That said I'm glad and fortunate to be able to do both, the river is definitely my summer salvation.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's ok to go both ways...

Ditto, Yaks're small easy to move around and get you in tighter spots, more personal, more fluid, Ditto, Rafts're more time consuming, tough to move, good for groups, beer, overnights, etc., Ditto, try rafting and you will do both.

Check out Creature Craft - The Ultimate Inflatable and watch some good vid.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Down to you—

Do a personality check.

At the extremes, you might go for a tight little playboat (with a very long learning curve) that does one thing really well: thrills. On the other end, an 18-foot Grand Canyon beer barge will keep you in comforts for a 20-day trip, but will bust your gut rowing against the wind.

Most people look for something closer to the middle. In a 'yak, that'd be an all-around river boat with enough volume to carry a bit of overnight gear. In a raft (or cat— my choice) that'd be a boat that can carry two and enough gear for 2-3 nights out: a 14-footer or thereabouts.

Also in the middle ground would be a 2-person duckie (easy to paddle solo) or Pack Cat, that's good for day runs but can haul some overnight gear.

Once you get a taste, then you can decide which way you want to go. Or you can get a big ol' beer barge and strap your playboat on. Recruit a guest rower or two.

·
Registered
844 Posts
You need both, well eventually. I started kayaking when I was a single guy and now I have 3 yaks in my quiver. Every one needs a play or squirt boat, a river running yak for those longer runs or when you just do not want to be a sardine in a can, and a creeker for running the gnar.

Then after many years, I ended up attached and with two little ones. So now I have a raft too and look forward to taking the fam down multiple day trips. And like everyone else stated, now I can carry my, and plenty more gear for the long haul.

One is not necessary better, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. The right tool for the situation at hand is always a good thing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Then after many years, I ended up attached and with two little ones. So now I have a raft too and look forward to taking the fam down multiple day trips. And like everyone else stated, now I can carry my, and plenty more gear for the long haul.
How many kayakers can carry their two dogs? The pups always look dejected when I head out with my paddle in hand, but get waaay pumped when the oars come out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts