Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like it's been a rough couple months on the buzz lately. SOOOO, I propose we start turning the tide a bit.

We have 100+ snow packs all over the state and surrounding states are just as good (NM, WY, AZ, MT, ID). Lot's of great kayaks in the market... All types of sizes now for everyone to fit into, and what looks like a perfect season coming up. Man I am so stoked it feels awesome!

Question #:
1. What class water were you paddling last season and what are your hopes for this season?

2. What new rivers/creeks do you have ear marked for 2008?

3. What new gear do you think is the coolest (anything from boats to nose plugs)?

Let the stoke begin!

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Top 3 runs on my list (that I haven't already officially laid a date down for):

#3-Bailey Can't believe I've been here this long and never done it (been skunked several times, though)

#2-Escalante

#1-Zion/Sinawava overnighter

Gear:

It doesn't get any better than this :D

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I was paddling class V last season, my hardest run was probably the NF Payette, Lower 5. Might try to do something harder and go for a first raft descent this season. I might also decide that I don't need to do harder class V.

I really want to get up to the North Platte and Encampment, also Cross Mtn. on the Yampa and the Upper Animas. The long trip will be my first Grand Canyon run in October.

There isn't any new equipment that I am really stoked about - Maybe a tiki umbrella and a margarita maker for hot days on flat water. Someone mentioned a solar powered ice maker - that would be sweet.

·
Registered
807 Posts

I am about to order one of these from Cabela's because my new favorite type of paddling is boating with my kids, Ruby Horsethief and Chama hopefully for 08.

Also stoked to do more river surfing this summer. My friend Zack is shaping a bunch of different designs for this summer. Bad Fish coming at you in 08.

·
Fred Gnarquist
403 Posts
i was paddling class 5 last season, hardest run being the upper crystal gorge, or lake creek,
as soon as i graduate from high school in may my friend and i are going to kayak for the next month in co, doing a big crested butte trip, hoping to fire up cinnamon gorge, stupid falls along with some crystal stuff such as north fork, and punchbowl falls and when the water drops enough the inner gorge, and possibly yule creek(scared).
then i am working and playbating tryin to earn money for a bc trip, im not sure what i want to paddle there, then earn money and playboat to go to mexico in the fall, hitting the alsaseca up, and the teocolo, then come home, ski and earn money for a chile trip hoping to run the shit down there, and then come home, work make enough money to hopefully go to norway

so there it is the 2008 plan, should be good, see everyone on the river

·
Registered
907 Posts
What do you think of the new football throw bags? They look cool, think it will work with the rope connected to it? Considering the football pass is so accurate because of the spin it has on it I personally don't think it work very well over hand. But i still am getting one cuz its frickin rad!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Count... So you going to wear that jock-strap on your head or on something else? Either way, I'm afraid...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Forgive me for just answering the last question but the absolute best gear I've purchased in a while are custom ear plugs. I've been using them for a while but just got a new pair. They are pricey ($80/pr. or $160/pr with sound permeable filters) but if it means not losing paddling days due to ear infections, not building up my exostosis, and avoiding the annoyance of trying to get the water out of my ears, it's totally worth it. They are 100 times better than Docs plugs and 1000 times better than those little marshmallows you can buy at Home Depot.
To get them you need to go to an audiologist but the $80 includes their services.

·
Registered
808 Posts
had planned to hit the s. fk. salmon area for a few days and then paddle out to riggins. payettes on the way up and back. but maybe stay around colorado if the snowpack holds big.
otherwise area quickies like the upper dolores and uncompahgre and hopefully high water upper a and escalante.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
usually just 3 -4 rarely 4+/5-,goal = get back to old self in ducky ,get as good or better in hardshell.
-

Black Box-Huntingdon-Cottonwood
Virgin
Fossil + ? in Arizona
Canadian,been trying to get this for years probably will run this year ,ran a
lame part once as did Atom but i think i figured out where the good part is.
Colo 1ST D, Sangres?this could be about the only chance,gotta be something probably short
Dolores first river ever did ,never been back

DRYSUIT IF I COULD AFFORD IT

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
FORGOT MY INTERNATIONAL LIST;)

Pacific coast runs in Guatemala,Chiapas,and maybe El Salvador,always paddled the Carribean side river and ocean,Pac surf way better.

cARRIBEAN SIDE; Las Conchas and Polochic,Agua Azul been there twice boat havn't boated it III-VI DISNEYLAND

Privassion, Blancaneaux to 5 sisters
Rio On Pools to Privassion 1 ST D

·
Registered
536 Posts

My big trip is a 90 mile float / 10 river days this August in SW Alaska on this river. Tickets are all paid up and bush flights reserved. Hopefully, a few bent rods for us too.8)

Looking to do a multiday IK run on Jarbidge/Bruneau. Hopefully, it runs well this year. Looking forward to it in a big way.

If that doesn't pan out then Hells Canyon in late Sept and hopefully some more bent rods on bass too.

Answers to the other ???'s . Run class IV and really no big interest in going beyond that right now. No super exciting gear I've noticed but did just add a tandem maravia IK to the arsenal for future low water,extended trips. Not a huge fan of duckies but they can get down the tight,technical,low water river with a good chunk of gear on board for the multidays.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Oh, yeah, and I've definitely reserved some stoke for runs that haven't gone (or gone big) in a while.

Crossin' my fingers that I'll finally be able to see Big Sur.

Hopin' to finally cross Leon, Buzzard, Grape, Sweetwater, Hensen, Hermosa, Cebolla, Willow, Lefthand, Proving Grounds, Upper Fryingpan, along with some runs on the Dolores, Gila (really want to get Upper and Lower Fossil in, too. Might make for a good road trip.), and Uncompahgre/San Miguel off the list. Might try and get a trip down the Dirty Devil and Escalante River if flows work out.

Bring it on!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Last years boating difficulty: Any line that I didn't think would cause me to explosively shit my pants if I ran it.

Stepping it up for 08: Got a case of depends and I'm ready to go big!

New colorado run most looking forward to: Upper Animas Overnighter

New Out of State action thats got me pumped: Oregon Huck Fest!

Best Gear: I'm just hoping to make it through 08 without breaking another creekboat. Since thats highly unlikely, my vote for best gear 08 would have to be BITCHITHANE!!!

Winter daydreams
-Quintessential colorado boating on the big south! Can't wait to get back.
-Peak runoff action with the crew, big boofs and big smiles all around
-Takeout beers with sun on my back and lots of comedy and shit talking after another awesome day on the water
-Lush green gorges in oregon with beautiful clean waterfalls.

08 is gonna rock!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Last season- lots of 5-, Big South lite, high water Bailey, Bear Creek etc.

This season:

1) Black Boxes- seriously, I'm obsessed with this run (memorial day weekend?) Also Left Fork Huntington while I'm there.

2) OBJ. No season last year. Gotta do it. Daisey too.

3) Embudo. should run soon...

4) Hellsgate- maybe this should be higher. Also will run real soon.

5) Barrel at a good flow. Escalante with more water too.

6) Everything in the San Juans that are going to go HUGE.

I could go on and on.

PS-

Deepsouth- Oregon??? hook a brother up.

Count- I admire your enthusiasm but question your judgement. Your list includes some of the crappiest runs in Colorado. Nobody has anything good to say about Grape Creek. Lefthand is like low water Bear without all the good drops. Cebolla, Sweetwater, aren't those Class III with lots of flatwater. Get your priorities straight son.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Jmack, I believe that Count is on a mission involving checkmarks in a guidebook.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Alright, yes, a number of those runs are not spoken of highly. But I have also heard redeeming things about many of these runs (from people who have actually run them, not just talked shit about them). Sure, part of it is the checklist thing but a lot of it is actually more of getting closure for things I have been skunked on. There's nothing that makes me want to run something more than showing up to the put-in superstoked for the day and then not getting to paddle it. I've been skunked on Lefthand, Buzzard, Grape, Willow, and Cebolla. The reason a lot of these come to mind right now is that it requires a good snow-year to run them versus other runs that run regularly. Plus, did you notice that a bunch of the runs on my list are good runs, too?

SYOTR,
COUNT

·
Registered
986 Posts
07' gear of the year was the bitchethane, I had so many cracks that I had cracks running into other cracks (8 in all) that resulted in a scary upper blackwater run this winter before I retired her.

looking forward to in 08'
1) Valliceto
2)cali (upper cherry, east fork of the kawea, south silver ect..)
3) big south (from the source?)
4) hells gate (next weekend?)
5) black boxes
and of course BC (tatlow o yeah)
and the VC get those teams together
-Tom

1 - 20 of 46 Posts