Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Thanks for linking that report; I tried to run one this morning but was getting error messages.

Those are some bleak #s through much of the West, but especially Washington and Oregon. California is on a different system but as I understand it they are in a continued epic drougb as well so that map is likely more red than its showing right now.

I am not holding my breathe for much change in the spring but I know we would all be grateful for a noticeable increase in precipitation. Looking like my wife and I chose a good year to prioritize travel to see our friends and family (not much time or money for many river trips this year).

Best of luck out there this season.

Phillip

·
Registered
525 Posts
That's looking a little better than the last one. The West Coast is still hurting but the Rocky's are improving. Long way to go till spring.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
It's not even february. Same shit every year. STFU until April.
If you think the speculatoin is bad now, wait until next week when the permits are released... We didnt have any snow last year until febuary and march.. we had less that we do now at this piont in the year.. But we had a great year... A lot of people getting bored this winter.. I will be getting the boat wet here before too long and doing some steelhead fishing.. shake off the winter blues..

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It hasn't snowed in like a week so I thought we were in a major drought. Sorry. Turns out we're OK up here.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparently core shots are not an accurate method for checking SWE.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Never understood the wait until Spring approach but I am also not sad or disillusioned right now. The snowpack data and medians already account for yearly trends. Half of the west could get immense amounts of spring snow but its note remotely forecasted.

And lets not forget....many of us had horrible boating years last season. California was dry. My local SW Utah runs were bone dry. The windows of peaks were smaller on many others. Not exactly a blanket "great" year across the West.

We will cope with whatever we get but that doesn't mean I have to lie to myself about the changing winters and norms in my neck of the woods. Its raining again here. I can count the number of days we have had snow on the ground on two hands but rain from late-November to end of end of January.....way too many to keep track of. So backwards.

All the more reason to look into a pack raft I suppose.

Phillip

·
Registered
610 Posts
It's February in Steamboat and I can see grass... not the kind everyone's smoking... the kind you don't want to see in Steamboat in the winter...
Next weekend is winter carnival, they usually have to drag snow down to main street for all the events anyway... just not sure where they're gonna import it from this year.
It is so hard to guess though... some years it really doesn't start snowing hard until later in the season. It's snowed all the way until June some years....
Power of intention? All together now!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Never understood the wait until Spring approach but I am also not sad or disillusioned right now. The snowpack data and medians already account for yearly trends. Half of the west could get immense amounts of spring snow but its not remotely forecasted.
Phillip

Climate forecasting is to be taken with a truck load of salt.
But:

This was from Jan 20th:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
My wife and I have moved our summer vacation from Utah to Alberta/BC.

Not water related.
Exchange rates.
Hard to forecast also.
Canada is in an oil payments drought.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Virgin River has at least 4 floatable sections, not including Devil's Staircase and Narrows, both of which are outside of my ability.

I include Escalante River into the mix; Sevier River has one Class III daily (not worth driving for unless local); Dirty Devil is stretching the term and is more Central.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Climate forecasting is to be taken with a truck load of salt.
But:

This was from Jan 20th:
The generic forecast is holding out. My old home in Va Beach is experiencing weeks of temperatures lower than my western town at close to 6k feet. NOAA's tend to be a more eloquent in my book:

For my area that means continued above average temperatures and a chance of normal precipitation for the next 30+ days. Precipitation probabilities increase in SW starting March but considering temps are likely to be above average still that could easily be rain not snow.

Freezing fog at the resort at 11,000 feet today and 45F and rain in town at 6k. We had hoar frost on the lifts which is historically rare here, though much more common last 2 years. Snow depth is a little better than last year's horrible totals but much worse than preceding years, anywhere from 30-60% less. When compared to the last year we had a solid Virgin River run, back in 2011, we are sitting at something like 25% of that snowpack.

If the new norm is drier mid-winters and wetter spring snows than things could even out. For now, the new norm seems to be warmer, less snow and significantly lower annual snowpacks. No point in getting sad about it but I am not gonna set myself up for disappointment either waiting for some sort of epic spring snows that would be well outside the historic normal. Same seems to be happening for other regional runs like the Salt.

If we get dumped on I can easily inflate my IK and head an hour south though. I would love to see several of those runs again and they historically release around my birthday. I love floating through Zion...nothing quite like it.

Phillip

·
Banned
131 Posts
"There's not enough snow on the ground as of february 1st. The spring run off that will take place 4 months from now might be bad. HO HUM, I'm so sad"

There's nothing you're going to do about it anyways go enjoy the warm weather. I don't mind a mountain bike ride occasionally in the middle of January in shorts and a T-shirt. Better than whining on the buzz about it. Like someone will feel bad for you and turn on the snow. lol.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
"There's not enough snow on the ground as of february 1st. The spring run off that will take place 4 months from now might be bad. HO HUM, I'm so sad"

There's nothing you're going to do about it anyways go enjoy the warm weather. I don't mind a mountain bike ride occasionally in the middle of January in shorts and a T-shirt. Better than whining on the buzz about it. Like someone will feel bad for you and turn on the snow. lol.
It used to be in times of trouble one could turn to their religious leader for consoling.
Then soured souls paid money to have a shrink listen. SOTAR money.

Now we've found support groups provide the most help for many. Like the Buzz.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you look at the past data, you'll see the snowfall peak has mostly shifted about a month down the calendar.

I don't necessarily count this as a lack of snowfall, just a delayed event.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts