Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a beginner boater, and I'm about to take a safety class. I want to buy a throw bag to practice with at the class.

The question is: How long should the throw rope be? Is this a case where more is always better? Or should I stick to something shorter & easier to handle? What's the real difference between a 50 ft rope, versus a 75 ft rope?

Any suggestions are welcome. P.S. I already read the other posts about throw ropes that I could find, so I know to get a Spectra. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
go with the 75'er. You may learn to set up a Z drag system in your safety course (to pry wrapped boats), in which case the more rope the better. Also, if you're running big water the extra length can be helpful.

-Perry

·
Registered
480 Posts
The extra 25 feet could make a difference some day. Get the spectra cord instead of the polypro - it could be worth the price difference some day. "Here me now and believe me later" - Hans & Franz

·
Registered
9 Posts
Throw Rope Lengths

I just completed a 2 day river rescue class sponsored by Summit Kayak School here in Colorado, and taught by Miah Wheeler (great instructor).

The length of rope in a throw bag was shown to be a significant issue during training.

I happened to have bought a 70' foot bag before the class, and I'm glad I did. You can do a lot with that extra 20'.

Also, the Salamander 70 footer "Little Big Mouth" w/ Spectra is very compact and easy to throw.

Look for an extensive journal entry with photos and videos from the 2 day river rescue course online this month.
Also, I took a 3 day IRIA Swiftwater Rescue Certification course with Colorado Mountain College in April. Photos and videos will also accompany that journal entry.
Both courses were helpful to me, but the SKS 2 day river rescue course with Miah was much more beneficial to me as a kayaker.

My advice is to buy a rope longer than 50', and then take a river rescue course as soon as possible.

Visit http://www.SavageSnow.com for my insanely thorough Learning to Kayak Photo/Video Journal.
-Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts