Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like LH Creek is going to run this year. :) Last night the visual guage was 1.3 and a lot of snow up the canyon left to melt and fill it up.
A couple of us pulled some logs out, and moved the Denver Post paper rack as far to the left bank as we could, clearing up the right line. May need a few others to get this damn thing out ! There is still one river wide tree that needs to be removed, about 1 mile up from where the creek crosses under the road.
Does anyone know what the good levels to run this are?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I havent run LH, so I dont know a good level, but I scouted it last year and never found it worth running. I'd be down to help pull a few logs out of it however. I've got access to some good hauling equiptment also and some chainsaws. Let me know if you're gonna be over there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
basically the more water the better is the right answer. I'm not sure what the gauge reading should be, because i've never gone by that. In the past, i've just gauged it by looking at the put in. If it had enough water to not remove too much plastic, the fun part below was pretty good. Other local creeks often work as a good general indicator.....when they are cranking this one may be runnable.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ask Eric Bader at Boulder Outdoor Center. I believe he had the first descent of left hand creek. even if i'm wrong about that, he has run it many, many times. he'll be able to tell you what flows are needed to run it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The best barometer for Lefthand is the SSV thier headwaters are close together.If SSV is 150 lefty may be runnable depending how bony you'll go.
thanks for the clean up , i'll go up this week and try to remove that news box.The bible mentions going all the way to 36, is the lower part past the 2 drops below the culvert, worth doing?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks for doing the clean up. I have been up there 2 years in a row and the first year the level was great, unfortunately no gauges that I am aware of. Thanks for the information on SSV.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Good to go!

Got on it yesterday in the early afternoon. Flows were pretty good. A little bumpy in the upper slack water but all in all a good time. It should be even higher today & tomorrow with the high temps.

There are 2 hazards of note. The first, which KOlson mentioned, is a newly fallen pine that goes from bank to bank. The trunk is a non-issue but the branches are hanging down like curtains to the water level. My face took a few out but there are plenty more.
The second is an old log about 18 inches in diameter that is only about 2 feet off the water shortly after the first hazard. We eeked under it (barely) by laying low on the cockpits, but by this afternoon I'd imagine you're going to have to roll under the river right side, or bring a chainsaw.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Get it while the gettin' is good. Trent and I jumped on Left Hand Saturday. Definitely a great level to run it at. The tree that twitch mentions can be run by aiming for the brush that covers the largest hole. The newpaper stand is in the middle of the creek but you can easily avoid it on the right or left. Get on it!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sunday?

Anyone want to get on it? I last ran it back in '97 'twas fun then, sure it would be now too
-Carter @ 303-345-3823

1 - 15 of 15 Posts