Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any issues with arriving at the Flaming Gorge Dam ramp early evening, rigging my boat and tying it up for the night downstream in July? I know they run it pretty tight in the morning but am trying to figure logistics cause I got no trailer.

·
aselig
25 Posts
It shouldn’t be an issue, there’s some good spots just around the corner from Spillway. Otherwise the local shops do rent trailers. Or show up early, before the crowds around 9-10 and you should be fine.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I agree. You could probably tie it off at the downstream end of the eddy by the rest room. Shouldn’t be in anyone’s way. I would check with a local LEO to make sure it would not be perceived as a terrorist threat. There is usually a LEO parked in the parking lot of the visitors center at the west end of the lot.

·
Beginner
2,641 Posts
I rigged a boat there once for a 2 month trip. The ranger was up my ass about taking too long, but we ignored him and got out of there within an hour. They have to be open to multiple user types at a place like that!

·
aselig
25 Posts
I agree. You could probably tie it off at the downstream end of the eddy by the rest room. Shouldn’t be in anyone’s way. I would check with a local LEO to make sure it would not be perceived as a terrorist threat. There is usually a LEO parked in the parking lot of the visitors center at the west end of the lot.
You’re probably thinking of Dam Security. They’re no longer around due to budget cuts.

·
Registered
722 Posts
No, I am talking about the county guys, Dagget I think. They have been a major LEO presence there since 9-11.
They’re terribly concerned about exploding groovers…a risk to everyone, you know. Burrito night…then a hot sunny day?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Should be okay to leave it there in terms of regulations, but there are a bunch of fisherman walking the banks at most times of the day. Most are cool but there’s always a few that are d bags.

If you’re not familiar with the area, would suggest inflating your boat in one of the upper parking lots. Plop it up on the roof of your vehicle for the short drive down to the ramp (tie it down a bit) to speed up the rigging. There’s still traffic on the ramp even in most late afternoons or evenings. Not as bad as mornings though for sure but it’s always good to be conscientious of others trying to use the ramp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a walking path river left, so there is plenty of space to tie off a boat for the night downstream of the ramp. Shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts