Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am driving to Lees Ferry this Friday with all my rig on a trailer. I have a little 4 banger Subaru that i have towed plenty of boats in, and i know she can make it. However i would like to avoid the steepest hills if possible, it is a manual and first gear can struggle to get going with a heavy load on hills. So my question is what way would people recommend. below has been my thought process and i think that the 285 route might be my best bet but figured someone might have had the same problem and had some advice.

Below are the routs i have debated with the problem areas listed.
I-70 to grande junction
Eisenhower tunnel and Vail pass

285 through bailey
Wolf Creek pass

Pueblo to Alamosa
Wolf creek pass

Any thoughts would be great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Edit

Sorry, but forgot to say i am leaving from Boulder, Co

Please no Boulder Subaru Jokes unless they are new and funny.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I-25 South to ABQ then I-40 West to Flag.

Raton Pass and I'm not sure where you cross continental divide, but its a lot lower than anywhere in CO. It's interstate the whole way as well, and takes you around the mountains in the case of foul spring weather.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, i saw that on the map but assumed it would be a lot longer, but it isn't that bad only ads an extra 2 hours.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Interstate speeds usually make up for some extra miles. But it sounds like maybe that's not the kind of Subaru you're driving?
:)

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I-25 South to ABQ then I-40 West to Flag.

Raton Pass and I'm not sure where you cross continental divide, but its a lot lower than anywhere in CO. It's interstate the whole way as well, and takes you around the mountains in the case of foul spring weather.
By far this is the flattest route. Wolf Creek would be the steepest route to take.

The continental divide is about half way between Albuquerque and Gallop. The climb up to the summit and down the other side is gradual enough you don't notice you just crossed it. Watch for the sign.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Decision made

I am going to follow your guys advice, once i get to highway speeds it is not that bad, but any stopping and starting on hills is incredibly hard on me and my clutch. The extra milage does not bother me as much as the thought of my clutch burning out because i got stuck in traffic going up a steep pass. Ill risk that on my way home going over Teton pass.

The additional distance is only 106 miles. Even if i'm only going 60 mph in the R lane rather than going 15 mph with people getting pissed at me and me too scared pull over to let them pass because i am worried i might not be able to start again. this route more than makes up for itself.

Thank guys.

·
El Chupanibre
133 Posts
1-25/40 is a no brainer. There are 3 major climbs within the first hour and a half, on l-70. 160 isn't bad if you go through Walsenburg, but your poor Subaru would still have to climb Wolf Creek. Raton Pass not bad. We are meeting up in Flagstaff for our Grand trip, and I'll be driving a Nissan Frontier. I think we stick to l-25/40 to take it easy on the vehicle and cheaper fuel.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
El Chupanibre
133 Posts
Travel times are nearly identical on 25/40 vs 70 and longer on 285/160, according to Google.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts