Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm afraid to ask, but what's going on at the Lawsom Play Spot. It looks like the dream may be over. It appears to me that someone is digging everything thing up to improve (ruin) a new spot.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Lawson's one of my favorite holes! Leave it alone! (I realize it too late),
I'm sad but have my fingers crossed that it'll be better...

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am out of state now. This was one of my favorite places too. I would suggest that you guys stop by now and then and kind of check it out provide some insight along with cases of beer.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I thought you coudldn't dig in a river/creek without a ton of permits. Are they digging in the river, or next to it?

Also, digging in the river would be incredibly hard with the very high banks. Can someone give us more explanation?

Thanks.

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
I live in Dumont, down the road from the hole in & check on the park often. He appears not to be touching the hole. He HAS been told by a number of people that we know where he lives if he F's up our hole. If the hole gets messed up, this post will likely disappear.

His girlfriend even mentioned to my wife that a ton of people had told him to leave it alone & that was the plan.

He started with the feature below the hole & has been working downstream so I feel relatively confident it will stay the way it is.

cross your fingers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It will be nice to put in there regardless of water levels. I heard from a "friend of a friend" who snuck up to peek the other night that the hole hasn't been touched as of yet.

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
I look at it every day as I get off the hwy, I pull over on the exit & check it out to see what got done each day, kinda cool to see it come together. I'll be SURE to let everyone know if anything changes so I can get a crew together to beat his ass.
I hate driving to Boulder, so I'll be rather surly by the time we hit his neighborhood.:twisted:

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
Cool. Another whitewater park. Who's paying for it?
I would assume I am? If it's done by the county, would that type of thing be paid for by property taxes? Maybe a type of grant from the fed govt?

We're friends with a couple county people, I'll have to ask. I'm curious now.
I saw the dollar amount in the Courant (local paper) a few years ago & was blown away by how high it was, I can't remember now what it was.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Listen to TWITCH for the love of GOD!!! The hole upstream and downstream are hugely important to how the lawson hole forms (or any hole for that matter).

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
I think the hole below it is a little higher than it was before, we'll see what that does to it. I don't believe he's going above it at all, so the only change I can see to the main hole is a slight increase in downstream water level.
After HE touches it it'll probably end up sucking just like Golden, we'll see.

I'm not at all happy about this, it'll bring in more people, but the only hole that will be worth playing in is going to be the one hole that was there before, so it'll just be more crowded. AUSUMME.

I F'ing love development.

They were working late today, must be worried about the weather coming soon.

In his defense, there is a feature that looks like it will be a nice wave at medium water, that would be cool to have a greenie around here.

·
skinny kid
20 Posts
Hello all,
Clear Creek County is behind the Lawson Whitewater Park. The park is funded mostly by CDOT and has been in the public process for about three years. It is designed not only for good boaters like yourself, but for the general public. Recreation Engineering and Planning (REP) is the engineer of record and Gary Lacy and Shane Sigle are the engineers. We are not touching the "Lawson Hole" and have no intention of changing that feature. We have added four new features and one includes new technology. It's called "plates of fun" and is located just upstream of the Lawson Hole. Construction will be finished in about a month and the site will include parking, toilets, pathways, and general river access amenities. If you have further questions, please feel free to call me at 303 808 7734.
-Shane Sigle

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello all,
Clear Creek County is behind the Lawson Whitewater Park. The park is funded mostly by CDOT and has been in the public process for about three years. It is designed not only for good boaters like yourself, but for the general public. Recreation Engineering and Planning (REP) is the engineer of record and Gary Lacy and Shane Sigle are the engineers. We are not touching the "Lawson Hole" and have no intention of changing that feature. We have added four new features and one includes new technology. It's called "plates of fun" and is located just upstream of the Lawson Hole. Construction will be finished in about a month and the site will include parking, toilets, pathways, and general river access amenities. If you have further questions, please feel free to call me at 303 808 7734.
-Shane Sigle
Any waves among the new features?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Say it ain't so.

Lacy is involved, we're screwed! Everything he has done has turned into crap. Welcome to the world of wasted money Clear Creek Co. Sorry you did not shop around. Rick, Nick, or Scott could have done a much better feature and saved you a ton of cash. This sucks my weekend is ruined.:confused:

Can we say Boulder Creek, Golden, Yampa... Next they will want to hang gates. Remember kiddos, no swimming in Lawson. You have some nice road culverts down stream to deal with.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts