Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody has used a lawn mower seat as the seat for their frame? The NRS ones are great, but just a bit out of my league right now.

Mounting the seat wouldn't be a problem. I'd want to try to find a white or yellow or any color that is not black. But I'm curious if it would have other problems, like rusting.

Below is a link to a seat that amazon has, I'd be looking at something similar.

Amazon.com: Michigan Seat Lawn Tractor Seat, Model# V-250: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Thanks for the opinions.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Besides the rust potential that you already mentioned, the only other drawback I can think of would be lack of drain hole. The NRS seats have a drain hole so you're not sitting in a puddle of water all day long...

·
Registered
711 Posts
This brings back some memories from about 30 years ago when we were building 2x6 wood frames with countersunk bolts. We put on a variety of seats, including bucket seats from some old cars on one of the frames. That frame went only where we didn't expect a flip! We felt like kings of the world, going down the river on a boat throne, sitting with that frame and drinking our refreshments.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
The Michigan seats are one of the long-standing rafting seats. NRS quit selling them a few years ago when they started making their own (like so many products). Unfortunately "their own" aren't the same, way too much padding for me. I'd love the drain hole, but the fit is wrong. I think the NRS seats are made for 12 year old boys butts, but even one very petite woman I know still prefers the Michigan seat. It's great for wedging in and bracing hard against.

So no problems with Michigan, with one exception (plus the wet butt). The NRS bolt pattern is based on Michigan's bolt pattern, but not for the current low back seats. They have 4 bolt patterns on that stupid seat, but none match. Yes, I bought a new low back this year, and I need to make a bracket to make it fit. I believe the mid-back and high back still have the same old bolt pattern (specs on NRS web site). You are showing the low back seat, so if you use a fab'd bracket just keep this in mind.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I used to have a seat like that and it had the same bolt pattern as the new NRS high-back seat that I got last summer....as far as fit its all personal. I have a bad back, and the high back is key to solving some aches and pains for me. The one thing I have come to learn is buy it once not twice...comfort is key on a longer trip.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Besides the rust potential that you already mentioned, the only other drawback I can think of would be lack of drain hole. The NRS seats have a drain hole so you're not sitting in a puddle of water all day long...
3/4" drill bit and some rust inhibitor....

I've rowed using a tractor seat for years.....although mine isn't as fancy as that.

·
Registered
668 Posts
3/4" drill bit and some rust inhibitor....

I've rowed using a tractor seat for years.....although mine isn't as fancy as that.
That would ruin the padded portion. I would be less concerned about the rust. Some duct tape could be used on the hole I guess.

Just eat some Top Ramen for a few months and buy the NRS... LOL

·
over the horizon
290 Posts
I have that very seat on the frame I fabricated last winter. If there is water pooled on it, swipe it off with your hand (or dump it if the seat is on a hinge). If it is too hot, grab a handful of river water and cool it off.

White color and drain holes did not justify the jump from $20 to $80. After a season using the lawn tractor seat, I found it not in the least frustrating.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think the NRS seats are made for 12 year old boys butts.
Huh....I'm 6'-1" and 235 lbs and love the NRS seats that came with my frames. Don't know for sure which seats you're refering to, mine are 7 and 10 years old and came with Longhorn and stern frames.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i bought the v-3500 seat for my raft 7 or 8 years ago and it has held up well (better than the nrs low-back). .
i like having the mid hi back better than the low. a little better butt-fit and i rig gear behind the seat for back support while rowing.

i have one of the high back, drain hole style on my cat. it's pretty comfy and i also enjoy the back support while lounging on the boats in camp.

the mid hi back isn't as comfy in camp.

also the high back sits about 1 1/2 to 2 inches taller than the lower styles. if i put my high back on the raft it is too tall to row comfortablely, for me. if you're building a new setup it shouldn't matter. just keep it in mind if you are retrofitting.

bob

·
Registered
84 Posts
The bolt pattern is the same on that seat and the NRS. A yellow John Deere tractor seat will also fit. I ran that seat for a while, I destroyed one when my boat went over some boulders upside down, bought another one. The water on your butt isn't really that big a deal but those seats become dangerous when the cover gets torn off because there's some sharp metal in there. They padding gets soggy if you get a hole in it. They hold up well, I ran the same one for 6 years before ruining it.

·
aka The Curmudgeon
354 Posts
I've had a lot of seats over the years. My first were tractor seats from DRE. For my 4th boat I anted up for a DRE Capt seat, and it is the best, without a doubt, but PRICEY! Also the covers are only good for 5 years or so. About 10 years ago I bought a close-out deal from Northern Tool on John Deere lawn tractor seats at something like 12 bucks each, plus freight. I bought three. I kick myself now for not getting all they had. I use one for the Capt seat on my main boat (15.5 ft SB) and mounted the other 2 to a 2x10 or 2x12 for passengers up front. All else being equal, I do wish they had drain holes in them, but the fact that they don't is not a big deal. I mostly use this rig on Desert Rivers. I also love the color, Bright Yellow. When you see a Red Boat, Yellow Seats, and yellow Cataract oars, you'll know it's me. Feel free to hit me up for a Schlitz. Or if you see another deal on these seats, let me know and I'll buy you a case! www.northerntool.com

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

·
aka The Curmudgeon
354 Posts
Oh Man, I don't think I'd ever consider a black seat. In fact I know I wouldn't.

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,256 Posts
This discussion got me thinking about upgrading from my foam seat pad mounted to the top of my dry box. If I mount a high back seat directly to the top, it will definitely interfere with the cargo bay behind me. If I flip the dry box around, it will make it far more difficult to access. I understand the flip seat bracket concept, but would prefer to keep it simple (and cheap). I'm leaning towards a low back seat that is light in color that won't interfere much when flipped back. All things considered, the best option I have found is the Down River low back, though pricey. Down River Equipment

Any opinions or other options come to mind? Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
This discussion got me thinking about upgrading from my foam seat pad mounted to the top of my dry box. If I mount a high back seat directly to the top, it will definitely interfere with the cargo bay behind me. If I flip the dry box around, it will make it far more difficult to access. I understand the flip seat bracket concept, but would prefer to keep it simple (and cheap). I'm leaning towards a low back seat that is light in color that won't interfere much when flipped back. All things considered, the best option I have found is the Down River low back, though pricey. Down River Equipment

Any opinions or other options come to mind? Thanks!
I run one directly mounted to my dry box. I prefer the high back because when the box is open the high back comes to rest on gear that is piled back there or on frame bars if I am empty. When I ran a low back the box would hinge all the way open and put stress on the hinge itself and I had to replace it a couple of times. Once you go high back you'll never want to go back anyway if you're looking for comfort in average situations. in bigger stuff where you're really getting your body into it lowback is probably a little bit better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts