Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hiked out at Havasu and our swappers took the oars on my Aire 143D (which I ran the meat of every rapid till Havasu btw). Keep in mind I had not flipped and my little tiny boat in the 22K Grand 'ol Colorado (no tides) was sticking the biggest lines you could take (left at crystal, right at granite and hance, center into hermit socD Horn etc). I warned the hiker that my boat would not sneak and if he tried it would be the end...enjoy

Lava Falls ledge hole DOUBLE DISASTER epic carnage fail !!!!!!!!! on Vimeo

by the way if you would like a TR about the hiker swap at Havasu (which went OK) let me know I will continue the post.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
not that it matters, but was your boat first or 2nd? 1st boat botched that as hard as is possible. 2nd followed like a lemming. I assume they both scouted?

Any damage?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Was he doing a Brown Claw going into it? I had to watch three times, I have not seen anything so funny in a long time.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my boat went in there first. Luckily I had rigged her 3 days prior and Bubbles held almost all her gear...even the P-cord oar tethers held. There was some frame damage (2 or 3 of the T's basically blew up) but Gary's frame from rowframe.com had the double rail system and held together....not sure if you counted but it was maytagged at least 5 times in the hole. Only one ammo can (it was a captains access can) that was lost, get this though it opened in the caos and the stuff in it floated and was recovered for the most part.

Sammy was second and I have no idea what he was thinking, he actually has some river guide experience and water knowledge. The guy rowing my boat, well, not so much OBVIOUSLY!

·
Super Moderator
4,108 Posts
I can't believe they both went right into it like that. I saw a vid once of a boat getting chundered in there once and coming out missing its frame.

·
Registered
805 Posts
So... that's what happens if you drop into the meat at Lava. No one in our entire group of 15 kayaks went for the thin left window. People either snuck way left, which still produced some carnage or took the standard right, which was fast and big but really just took more balls than brawn.

Just missed you Russ, caught your group on the three day layover at Tuckup I think it was, just below Havasu. Codye took good care of us and the Bailey's and Tequila you so graciously left for us went a long ways towards making that nights camp at Fern Glen one of, if not our best party night on the river! Thanks for that man, we owe you one for sure.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My first trip in 99, I ran a similar line with similar results. Floating down the center of the river, the ledge hole just does not look that big....until just before you drop in...then it looks monsterous!

My next four trips, I've approached Lava with much more respect and had much better results.
I'll run it right or I'll run it left, but NEVER again down the middle.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
I don't care if you have man breasts the size of watermelons nobody's going to push their way out of that. Point the stern down stream and PULL! The first guy is lucky he didn't get hurt.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts