Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I would like to overnight Westwater on Sunday/Monday. As usual we don't have our shit together and did not get a permit. I called yesterday at 12:30 to get a permit, only to find out they close at 12:00. Any of you have any experience showing up at the put in and receiving permission to put on by the ranger on-site? The calendar shows availability, but we are too late to get a permit the standard way. Any advice?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wife and I would like to overnight Westwater on Sunday/Monday. As usual we don't have our shit together and did not get a permit. I called yesterday at 12:30 to get a permit, only to find out they close at 12:00. Any of you have any experience showing up at the put in and receiving permission to put on by the ranger on-site? The calendar shows availability, but we are too late to get a permit the standard way. Any advice?
They won't do it on site, call when they open at home or roll the dice and call when you get there. But I do believe that only Verizon system phones work at the put-in.I don't think there are any rangers on site this early but they do patrol so don't put in without a permit.If you do and get caught you will get arrested and they will confiscate your gear. Good Luck

·
Registered
447 Posts
Change your days to Monday/Tuesday call Monday at 8am they wont answer tomorrow. You can launch with out permit in hand if you call it in, I've done it when I had no way to print out a permit/ receive mail when I got the permit the day before. There are rangers on site now.

Or show up and hope someone has some unused spots for Sunday. I'm sure they'd be glad to have you join their trip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your right

You guys were right. We showed up Sunday afternoon to put on and the ranger wouldn't let us. He made us wait until 8:00am to call it in, even though he gave us the permit to fill out Sunday night. He was bragging about how great their permit system works, but I saw the opposite. How does the ranger on site not have the authority to give us a permit?
We ended up attaining upstream and camping for the night. We were close to just heading downstream, but glad we didn't because they were waiting for us to call the next morning. Permit structure very frustrating, especially this time of year with no one else on the river. Otherwise it was a spectacular time.

·
Super Moderator
4,369 Posts
Not sure what you're complaining about. You asked the question and bluebtr gave you the correct answer, then treemanji gave you the roadmap on what you could do as an alternative. However, you tried to show up and launch anyway after being told they don't do it that way. The ranger was helpful with getting the paperwork started the day before, and like you said, they were waiting for you to call in the next morning. It sounds like you could've launched at 8:05 am with the way they were helping you out.

-AH

·
Registered
137 Posts
It is silly that WW even requires a permit after October and before April, but that is just the way it is.

You could have easily found out weeks in advance that the office is only open 8-Noon so I'm not really sure you have a valid reason to blame anyone but yourself here.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I think some of you are missing the point. The point is the rules suck... If there were available permits then why shouldn't the ranger be able to issue one at the put in. I also don't get why all these gov't offices close at 12. I personally think you should only have to get a permit to run Westwater if its an overnight trip.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes it does suck that the ranger could not issue a permit. Regardless, this was a very easy issue to avoid.

However the main reason WW is so special is the wilderness aspect. It is not possible to turn into an overcrowded Front Range Clusterfuck which it would if the permits were not the way they are.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Any first hand accounts of this happening?

They won't do it on site, call when they open at home or roll the dice and call when you get there. But I do believe that only Verizon system phones work at the put-in.I don't think there are any rangers on site this early but they do patrol so don't put in without a permit.If you do and get caught you will get arrested and they will confiscate your gear. Good Luck

Do you or anyone have first hand reports of the BLM Rangers arresting and confiscating gear for launching without a permit?

Just curious about first hand knowledge.

Thanks

·
Registered
783 Posts
Do you or anyone have first hand reports of the BLM Rangers arresting and confiscating gear for launching without a permit?

Just curious about first hand knowledge.

Thanks

Yep! Seen em' go after groups with navy seals, FTA,AAA,NRA,FBI,CIA and anal probes. Why would you even ask the question?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hi,

I am personally aware of citations and fines issued to/levied against people running unpermitted or improperly permitted trips (trips that added kayakers who hiked in below the putin, etc.) at Westwater.

I don't know of any cases of equipment confiscation, but that level of sanction is available -- I suppose for extreme cases.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

·
Registered
354 Posts
Once upon a time I was part of group that went over limit on the permit... There were actually 2 permits one for a day a trip and one for an overnight. The day trip camped with the overnight permit. 28 people total. The rangers had an idea of what was going and the next day came down the river with an armed LEO. They issued about $3000 worth of fines to the permit holders. I don't think they confiscate gear but they can make it painful.

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
They issue permits year round so that a dozen groups don't show up on the same day expecting to launch. This is what maintains the run's wild character. It also prevents inexperienced, unprepared people from getting in over their heads. I don't understand why people have such issues with the different permit systems...read and follow instructions. Never been a problem for me. Keeps the best overnights in our region from turning into the Upper C...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.