Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a Cataract trip in two weeks. Wondering what the reservoir levels are like now. I've seen a steady rise over the last three years, and last year we had whitecaps pushing us back up stream. Have groups still been rocking it without a motor lately? How long is the stretch from Gypsum canyon to dirty devil been taking without a motor? We usually camp at Clearwater canyon, is that underwater now?

Thanks,

Pat

·
Premium Member
674 Posts

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
You don't need a motor. You can make it from anywhere below the rapids to Dirty Devil in one good day of rowing or less.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
You don't need a motor. You can make it from anywhere below the rapids to Dirty Devil in one good day of rowing or less.
I disagree with this. If there are headwinds strong enough to create whitecaps beginning at 8am, it is not happening. Sometimes maintaining your position and not drifting upstream was the goal. We rowed from sunup to well after complete dark on day one of the lake with a very short break during the most windy part of the day and only made it from Gypsum to Sheep. It's the Colorado River, wind is a given.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the words! We've always done it without a motor, but last year sucked with the wind, not sun up to dark, but pretty close. Has it gotten worse from last march. I'm not sure what the numbers mean on the level. Has anyone rowed out of there this season yet?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the words! We've always done it without a motor, but last year sucked with the wind, not sun up to dark, but pretty close. Has it gotten worse from last march. I'm not sure what the numbers mean on the level. Has anyone rowed out of there this season yet?
We did it late last year. It was a bitch. If I were you, I would throw in the motor. After all, you dont have to use it if you dont have to. But if the wind picks up (which it will), you always have that saftey net.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Lake is roughly 10 feet higher this spring then last. At 6320, its much lower than last years mid summer levels. looking at the pic that Jeff Smith posted, 10 more feet of lake would probably have the camp at dark canyon under water... bummer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts