Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, the BLM has closed the access road to Gateview. We tried to run Red Bridge to Gateview today but the gate was locked with a sign saying it was closed for potential flooding until further notice. The river was only running 600cfs today and everything upstream was open as best we could tell.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Lake Fork Closure also to note.

Hey Duckins,

Thanxs for posting. You beat me to it. We met there yesterday. The closure seems silly to me & some of the locals we chatted with felt the same.

Also to note if in this area. The road up Henson Creek is also closed.

We then opted to run the Lake Fork Box section from Ryan Ranch Bridge to the Gate campground. I have always been curious about what this section is like...it certainly looks cool from the highway. Its rated Class III in Whitewater of the Southern Rockies. Its a beautiful canyon run but no way Class III... There are a number of trees down in the water but none that cant be passed at the moment. Some will move with higher water.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Give them a call or stop by:

PHONE
970-642-4940
ADDRESS
Gunnison Field Office
210 West Spencer Avenue
Gunnison , CO 81230

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did some digging on this to try and figure out when it would open. The closure is actually done by the Park Service (not the BLM or County). They said it would say closed until flows start to drop...bummer.

They have the closure posted on their website:
https://www.nps.gov/cure/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Phone Number: (970) 641-2337

Let's hope it gets real high so we can still catch it on the backside!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thats an easy bike or even walking shuttle. Reading their notice, it just says the campground and facilities are closed. I am missing a reason that it still couldn't be done?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Lake Fork Closure

We normally do it as a bike shuttle ourselves...but the gate is closed & locked...So as long as you don't mind hiking your boat the 4.5 mi. or so back up after the run then I suppose you can consider it open.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts