Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
First, I want to say THANKS to Holley, Claire, Anna, and Tina for moderating and getting Betty Buzz started.

Second, I've had a hard time finding other women boaters who like to boat Clear Creek and similar runs, and it would be fun to boat with other women sometimes. I know this is probably way too early to start thinking about next season, but would any women be interested in getting a weekly Clear Creek group together next season?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, looks like there's some interest! Great! Let's get in touch in the spring and we'll boat. I also love Upper Clear Creek and would love to learn some great tricks in the Lawson hole. If you're interested, just PM me and I'll put together an email list and I will email everyone in the spring when the H2O starts running. Thanks for the replies!

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
I'd be up for Clear Creek in the spring. It was a bit much for me this year in the little playboat, but planning on getting something a bigger for the likes of CC (and improving my ability)... that is if you don't mind a CC newbie tagging along... :roll:

Laurie

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like fun...

Count me in... Im a Co Springs paddler... but am looking to step things up and got to do Clear Crk for the first time this fall...paddling with some gals would be a fun thing... Hey Kim (Strider)... Katy Fitz

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I just moved to this state I've been here about a month, I love to whitewater kayak and would enjoy boating this spring. My questions are where about is Clear creek? What class of whitewater are we talking about? I have a dagger RPM. My roll is NOT bomb proof. My desire is.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Clear Creek (the sections I'm pretty sure we're talking about here) has a number of sections running from Lawson to Golden. At varying levels, Dumont, Upper, or Lower Clear Creek would be the first sections you would do but I would probably make sure you are comfortable with your roll and maneuvering before you hop on any of these. If are looking for something a little easier but still want to get on Clear Creek, I'd recommend going from Tunnel 1 through the Golden playpark. Best of luck.

COUNT

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi gals,
I agree with COUNT - you definately want to have a bombproof roll - it wouldn't be fun to take a swim (or to be upside down for that matter), because the rocks are really sharp. You also want to be in control - this isn't a run for new boaters. I would say that the sections from Lawson to Tunnel 1 are class IV - kinda creeky. Would you guys agree?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I would agree. Lower Clear Creek has some technical spots and there are a lot of rocks in funny places that tend to mess with boaters who aren't really good at picking out the sleepers (Tenmile honed that skill for me). Upper is a little more technical but has a lot fewer FU rocks (but a couple more precipitous drops) and the best line is more likely to be where it appears to be, unlike the Lower. Lawson to Kermits has lots of fun technical paddling that offers a million different lines and approaches. I'm looking forward to seeing a few more ladies on the river this spring :D.

COUNT

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree. I love the Dumont section. At higher water it is definately pushy and creeky style. A blast if you are solid. Not so much fun if you are not ready for it- A friend of mine got out after the first mile this year as he rolled about 5 times in the first section. Bonus is that it is roadside so getting out is an option. As the water comes down it gets less pushy but definately shallow- so you dont want to be rolling much.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey are you gals running this in a creek boat or play boat?

You know, it might be fun for us all to host(ess) a day on our home river next summer. We can pick a few days where we get together on a different river, and the local girls are the tour guides. Ladies days around the state!

The FC girls would be psyched to show y'all the Poudre...anything from Upper Mishawaka down the canyon (well, maybe not the Filter Plant), and also the Middle Narrows. Lower Narrows is fun too, but we might need to invite some boys on that trip, cause I'd hate to have anyone follow my line. :oops:

·
Registered
71 Posts
There are a few different sections. They all depend on the level. The Dumont section can be run in either a play or creek boat- I was glad I had my creek boat at high water this year. The other sections it varies- mostly creek boat for upper CC and black rock. Lower clear creek is mostly a playboat run, but does get up to class 4-.
Holly, I definately want to get up to FC to run the Poudre this year! I want to practice my boof- I here there is a good spot!
Tina

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.