Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a reasonable minimum flow, for a normal packed raft, for a Green river to Mineral bottom float with no dragging?:confused:

·
Registered
444 Posts
1800 @ Grim Reaper, 1500 if you're comfortable reading the bars and "current." The bottom is more gravel and rock in Labyrinth than below Mineral... but there are plenty of sandbars. From the ramp @ the state park to Mineral is almost 70 miles, a motor is nice below about 5k but above that you can float at 3 mph if you pay attention and row a bit (in the a.m., not the p.m.).

·
Registered
35 Posts
While rafts are great for carrying lots of kids and dogs and beer, Labyrinth is perfect in a canoe. Makes for easy paddling in low water and in the headwinds, and canoes are easy to drag over the sand bars. A SUP is also great, as long as someone has a canoe to carry the cooler. Low water means lots of big sandbars to camp on, so I think low water is preferred.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Also anyone know if there is a good water source along the way or should I just plan on bringing it all?

·
Super Moderator
3,972 Posts
Also anyone know if there is a good water source along the way or should I just plan on bringing it all?
Bring all your water.

2K cfs is plenty of water for Labryinth Canyon.

Reactions: Heywood

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with Andy H. Bring all your water. As long as you can read the sandbars you can run it just fine into low flows. I have never seen it below 2k and that is always been enough water. There will be a lot of good sandbar camping that is not on the map. I have done it in rafts and canoes. Canoes are better suited for Labby (if you have a motor for the raft that would make the wind more tolerable). The old equipment at Hey Joe canyon is a good side hike.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Joe was a bug fest, flows were good, about 3000. No real wind to deal with. Had to stay on sand bars to avoid being eaten alive in the Tammys. Hot days and warm comfortable nights. River was about a cool tepid bath temp. July 1st -5th trip.

Reactions: Heywood and Andy H.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did our own shuttle, we were quoted $290 per vehicle, but can not remember by who. It is not a fun shuttle!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Joe was a bug fest, flows were good, about 3000. No real wind to deal with. Had to stay on sand bars to avoid being eaten alive in the Tammys. Hot days and warm comfortable nights. River was about a cool tepid bath temp. July 1st -5th trip.
you were in a raft right? What kind of pace were you hitting. Rowing hard or drifting. I launch in a week 1/2.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Who did you use for a shuttle? Does anyone know of someone to shuttle Green River to Mineral?
I posted else where but Moab Raft and Canoe will be doing mine. Coyote was too busy so the sent me to these guys.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you were in a raft right? What kind of pace were you hitting. Rowing hard or drifting. I launch in a week 1/2.
2 mph most of time, very little rowing, in a raft, got on water about 10 am off about 3-4 pm. Feet up, oars out of water napping a little with a cold drink under the Bimini most of the river. Got lucky no wind to speak of..

·
Super Moderator
3,972 Posts
I did it at 1,600 cfs once.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Who did you use for a shuttle? Does anyone know of someone to shuttle Green River to Mineral?
Finished a trip last week, we used Coyote Shuttle, $290 for one vehicle. They were very busy, as others have said, we had to move our trip a few days to use them. Highly recommend Coyote.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is not a fun shuttle!!!
To elaborate, the start of the drive out of the canyon at Mineral Bottom is a switchback up a cliff with very tight hairpins, no safety rails: quite exposed and scary!

I did it in 2WD Chevy cargo van and I was ok, but I was tense!
I personally wouldn't want to do it with a trailer unless you are very confident :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A trailer does not make much difference. Driving out was easy. Driving in, down the hill is the scary part. I would not ever want to meet a vehicle going the other way, when we both had trailers. Before driving in I looked for any sign of trucks coming out, were none got lucky. On the way out as I crested the hill with 5 trucks way behind me I had to stop 3 trucks with trailers and campers to warn them to wait. They were unaware it is only a wide single lane or freak'n' hopelessly narrow two lane most of the way up and down the cliff.

Reactions: holo

·
Registered
12 Posts
A trailer does not make much difference. Driving out was easy. Driving in, down the hill is the scary part. I would not ever want to meet a vehicle going the other way, when we both had trailers. Before driving in I looked for any sign of trucks coming out, were none got lucky. On the way out as I crested the hill with 5 trucks way behind me I had to stop 3 trucks with trailers and campers to warn them to wait. They were unaware it is only a wide single lane or freak'n' hopelessly narrow two lane most of the way up and down the cliff.
Totally agree driving out was not too hard even with my beast of RV and trailer. Glad i hired the pros at Coyote to drive it down!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts