Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point me to where I can find waypoints for camping and cool things to see on Labyrinth Canyon, Green River UT?

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
3 Posts
PaddleOn Waypoints

Try this link above. The waypoint files were very accurate. I just got off the Green River (today) from Ruby Ranch to Mineral Bottom. The river is still high with limited campsites. If you choose your camps wisely, you may avoid being eaten alive by mosquitos. We were self supported in IKs. We did the trip in 3 days because we had very limited time. It was hot, 100 plus degrees in the day. We spent a fair bit of time in the river. Copious quantities of sun screen and effective bug repellent are essential. Our trip was driven by our search for tolerable camp sites. There were things that we wanted to see that we passed because of the bugs and of difficult access.

The Tamarisk trees are definitely being quickly destroyed by the beetles. There are many places where native vegetation has re-established itself.

We had a short but pleasurable trip.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Camp early...

We were on the same trip in the middle of June and the water was really high but that said the trip was really fun. Two pieces of advice: push off at Ruby Ranch (the canyon really begins there) and camp early if you have the time. At high water there are limited (good) campsites so if you snag one when you see it you don't risk running a long stretch with few good campsites. We had the Labyrinth Canyon River Guide by Thomas G. Rampton and it was pretty good. Have fun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. We already have plans to launch at Green River State park. We will have a Cat with a Motor that can be used as needed to make a push for a good camp.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you all run shuttle? Was planning driving cars to Mineral bottom and then using Red tail Aviation to get a flight from Mineral bottom to green river Airport. But apparently there is no longer taxi service in Green River. Really rather not walk it (5 miles).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Labyrinth camps/shuttles

I have used Coyote shuttles out of Moab for the Lab trip twice and they are great. Will pick up your vehicles at GRSP and deliver to mineral bottom no problems. If you are launching from the park, first best camp is probably going to be around Dellenbaugh Butte (or the Anvil as locals know it). Also a good second night if you have the time. DB is about 18 miles from your launch. The other comments are dead on....going to have limited camps and it will be buggy. Trin Alcove may be a good camp, but is definitely going to have skeeters. Have a great trip!

·
Registered
3 Posts
We used Tex's Riverways for our shuttle. It was expensive but the service was excellent. The road to and from Mineral Bottom is currently in excellent condition. We camped our first night at the River Registry, no bugs but a bit of a challenge landing and securing our IKs. The second night we camped on a sandbar at the end of a small willow covered island between river mile 59 and 58. There was also a dry and bug free campsite across from our sandbar on the left side of the river looking south. We directed a couple of tired canoers to that site who were about an hour behind us. In the morning they told us the camp was warm but bug free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts