Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! We are looking at doing the green river labyrinth section with some friends. They are all planning on canoeing/ paddle boarding it. We own a small 14’cat. It seems like the commercial people recommend renting their canoes, but has anyone had experience doing this in a cat instead? We have a 2 year old, and I think the raft might be more roomy for the kid...
All tips/ thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have only done it in a canoe and paddle board. I think a canoe is perfect for this trip; it hauls enough and is quick on the water and easier in the wind. But, I did not have a two year old. We did not always close attention to where the shallows were and a few times ended up on very shallow water, and sort of far from the channel. It was not an issue because you could hop out and drag the canoe across the shallows easily. A 14 foot cat would have made that less fun. But, then again, you could also just watch where you are going.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's been many years since I paddled labyrinth, but I agree with gdaut - a canoe is perfect. I respect your concerns regarding the youngster. I imagine you'll have great fun, either way.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's not just the odds of whether you can make it through without mishap; it's how much do you stand to lose on that bet. Keep it safe, My Friends!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Canoed Lab/Still with a 1.5 year old then 2.5 , then 3.5.....
For in the boat (off the top of my head...)

• Make a sleep/lie down spot (behind front seat, say).
  • bring bubble makers,
  • small boat attached to rope
  • butterfly net

·
Registered
RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
462 Posts
Put a kicker motor on your cat. Float in the morning and use the black oar when the wind blows. It the perfect place for a Bimini as well.
Have fun

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The sun/heat can be brutal. Shade for your little one will be very important IMHO. Plan your trip accordingly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im taking my 16 ft raft. The buzz is pretty split on this. Some think you are fucking crazy if you take anything but a racing canoe and some think its fine for a raft. There is another Labyrinth thread going on where folks say its fine to be in rubber at this level. I will find out as I launch on Monday. If you catch up with me pull me off the sandbar.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’ve taken my daughter down the Green and Colorado sections when she was 2, 5 and 6. She has always been just fine in a canoe.
In my opinion the biggest danger to kids on that section of the Green is not falling out of the boat but rather going stir crazy because it takes too long to get to camp and get off the boat / out of the sun. A canoe will get you to camp a full hour+ faster than a raft.

·
Registered
155 Posts
When I used to run this with students we would run canoes with 2x4s lashing them together across the thwarts, essentially creating cats. best of both worlds. The kids came up with creative ways to build platforms on the 2x4s. 4 paddlers per boat helped though then you don't have the leverage of oars. If you have a raft you fill the raft.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Canoes are more active than rafts and therefore might be more entertaining for your passengers. Give your kid a paddle and turn them into a river rat. Paddling and being closer to the river will increase their connection to the river.

Here I am on my first Labyrinth trip. Canoe was fully loaded and my grandpa was in the front seat with me right behind him. We managed to safely navigate the labyrinth with no incidents, minor or major. My dad would go on to take my younger siblings down the river in the middle of his boat, side by side, starting when my brother was <1 year old.

It might be a good idea to take the family out on a lake in a canoe first to work out the kinks closer to home and discover whether you really are half the paddle, twice the paddler.
little.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
At this flow, you will want either a motor for the cat, or lash 2 canoes together. It is a lake. Start early every day regardless. Have fun!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Canoe all day! There's just no need for a big, heavy rubber barge on laby. It's glassy flat. There's not many opportunities to run rivers out here where a canoe excels, relish in the adventure! Even in a canoe and 3 nights on the river, the days can be long and windy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts