Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright fockers... the long awaited helmet cam vid of the 6/14 Source Carnage Fest is on... YouTube - source carnage fest 6/14/07

if you dont' know the paddlers, you're better off.. if you do, keep it to yourself.

i lost a lot of the quality formatting it for YouTube so it's much better if you use the little window to view it. before you ask, here's the helmet cam i used- Oregon Scientific | U.S. | Product | AT18 | ATC2K Waterproof Action Camera (ATC 2000)
...and yes it's pretty much DVD quality.

everyone needs a helmet cam... you never know when you'll be caught in a completely retarded situation and wish you could see just how you got there :p
-tbone

·
Registered
989 Posts
boner,

how much did you pick up that cam for? is it mac compatable? did you do much research and pick the best one for boating?

I've been wanting one for a long time but never did the research...too lazy. Little help?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Nice! Pins, swims, mass carnage, and acoustic metallica, what more could you want?

My favorite shot was the point of view aspect of the hand grabbing the rock while crawling out of the river. Classic!

Thanks for sharing...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
elvis man... you are lazy! i even gave you the f'n link with the price on it. just buy it. and i don't think there is a video camera made that doens't work with a Mac. maybe you can find someone out there to mount it on your helmet for you as they push you into the river.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh yea those viosports are sweet... especially with all the added bullshit you gotta put into your lap.. Mini DV cam, remote control cord, power pack.. you guys rock and all for just over over a $grand$. i remember back in the 1990s when that technology came out, those were the days.. yea you should probably just get out of the business now and quit bugging us with your spam.

·
Registered
95 Posts
SPAM? Nice one, dude...just because I plug a friend's company means I'm a spammer? If you would have clicked on my name and checked you would see that I'm just an average joe who works in a cube and post on here somewhat frequently, never about Viosport in the past.

Besides, I like Viosport cams and think they work very well. I know it's a PITA to haul a camera with you, but the quality is unparalleled. It's a tossup...if you just want something to shoot what you do, then fine, get an Oregon Sci. If you want movie quality filming, then get a pack and a Viosport.

Anyways, Viosport is in Michigan, I live in Denver...where do you get off thinking I'm spamming for a company in a state 1600 miles away?

On the whole there are just way too many angry f'n people on this site. I better go back to telemarktips where the crowd is older and mellower...

sorry to offend Mr. 3" tboner

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
PT, It's the Source of Boulder Creek.

COUNT

·
Registered
619 Posts
Does anyone know what kind of player i need to view you tube vids? I just get a page that is all garbled up and no way to view vids. Anyone?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Boner, I went to the link...I just wondered if you got a deal somewhere else or paid full price. And all it said was pc so I wasn't sure.

One last question..did you have to drill on your helmet to mount?

·
Registered
685 Posts
I like your tune slection. Can you share the musicians and songs with us? Hope, I am not dating myself, always looking for good tunes!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've been looking into helmet cameras for the last few months and the best one I've found is at helmetcamera.com. They are the highest resolution cameras available and the airplane aluminum casing is practically indestructible. The only thing I don't like is that the miniDV recording device doesn't work with a finger remote. The videos on the site are definitely worth a brows.

The Viosport just isn't a durable.

Thats my two cents from the few hours of research I've done.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Music

I like your tune slection. Can you share the musicians and songs with us? Hope, I am not dating myself, always looking for good tunes!
Music is always a good way to touch off a great video. Here is one I been wanting to use but really can't boat anything worthy of the music. Scroll down and sample the tune "Roys Toy"

Amazon.com: You Had It Coming: Music: Jeff Beck

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
elvis- paid full price. all the others i saw were way more than that. 130 bucks is a now brainer. shipped in two days. love it. so happy i pulled the trigger on this toy. i get an hour of the highest quality vid on 2 gigs and it's really good vid too. i was pretty surprised at how good the vid turned out. this was the first run i did with it. there's options to take smaller video with less quality and you get more time of course.

i didn't bolt it perm to my helmet. it comes with this huge rubber band type strap (as well as other mountings for your bike) that you can wrap around your helmet. i used the strap and wound it on my helmet (an old protec with face mask) all around it through the holes and stuff so it basicly mounts to my ear at eye level. all you need is two AA batteries and a SD card (gig or 2 gig, doesn't support 4 gig) and you're ready to go. the beauty part is it's all in one. nothing in your lap, no power source, no lenses. less to worry about. i tied a rubber band around the camera connected to my helmet just incase i crack into a wall or rock and it pops off.

it takes a while to train yourself not to look around and stay focused on the run and not the trees and crap all around you. it also helps if you're running in the back of the pack so you don't have to keep looking behind you to make sure your bro is OK. all those head swings = editing time.

when you record you hit the button and it beeps once to record and beeps twice when you hit it to stop recording. you gotta stop the vid everyonce in a while so the .mov files aren't too big to work with. when my fingers are cold the buttons are stiff and it's a bit of a bitch. i have to take my helmet off sometimes to check to see if it's recording or not, but that's way better then popping your skirt, opening your pellcase and seeing if the miniDV is recording or not when your at the top of some class V drop shitting yourself.

the time consuming part is editing it. i edited it on a Mac. it records on .mov format which is Apple Quicktime and you can view and edit that on any platform. b/c it's helmet mounted you get all the random head swings and boring eddy time. that gets pretty nauseating so you gotta take a lot out and only get the goods.

oh yeah the music is Rodrigo y Gabriela (Rodrigo Y Gabriela) I LOVE YOU GABBY!!! -t

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes and it is much better. you can't really tell that it's a helmet cam vrs a regular miniDV cam except that it's strapped to my head : ) In order for me to download it to youtube it had to be 320 x 240, 300 kbs, mono, no longer than 10 minutes and 100 megs. i maxed it at 94 megs. so getting it down to that low of res was actually pretty tough to do. all i can say is there is a HUGE difference between the actual vid and what you guys saw on youtube.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
I have a Viosport h20.

I loved it until the cable connection pulled off the cord between the camera and the male connection, when I was de-rigging the pelicase between my legs and the camera. No swim- just pulling the two connecting cords apart, after a Big South run. (The camera-separate-from-camcorder setup, by the way, is not an ideal set-up in Class V - the box has to either be in your boat or attached to your body; and swimming a rapid with a 1190 Pelicase between your legs is not a great prospect).

Anyway- I emailed Viosport to see if they would repair it for me, and was told they didn't consider the broken cord a warranty issue. No problem, I told her; maybe I pulled too hard or in the wrong spot - I'll gladly pay for the shipping, parts and repair. Well, they're assembled in taiwan or somewhere and there are no repairs done stateside. Okaaay- well can she send me the proper custom Viosport cable connector so that I can get the camera repaired locally? She told me she'd check with some parts guy and maybe he could send me some, and get back to me.

Long story short - after several weeks and a couple of ignored emails from me that politely requested an update, I gave up on Viosport and found replacement parts that don't offer the waterproof jacketing that you need for kayaking. I had to take up electronics soldering in my garage, and was able to make the a repair that will allow the camera to work; provided that I tape up the connection with electrical tape to keep it waterproof. So it works fine, but it's not ideal.

So Climbhoser- please let your buddy know that their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. A whole lot, actually. I will gladly forward my emails to / from the gal at Viosport Customer Service if you need further proof. As for the quality of T-boner's vid, I've seen his on his laptop and mine on my laptop, and I could not see any negligible difference. That, coupled with the need for a 5-8 lbs video camera case that you could potentially swim with and get bashed into....oh, and COST - the Viosport product are now pretty much obsolete. And I would not recommend them to a boater even if the OR Sci product wasn't out there; I'll in fact go out of my way to tell kayakers to avoid their products because of their shoddy customer service.

Anybody wanna buy a used Viosport Helmet camera? $130

Climbhoser- If it makes you feel any better- you're spot-on about tboner's 3" pecker. IN DIAMETER, that is.* :wink:

*according to T-boner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts