Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all ... i'd love to hear pros and cons on both these pfd's and if anyone has actually paddled both i'd love to hear your comparisons. Any recommendations would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!! 8)

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have never tried the Ronin, but after trying the Green Jacket and the Stohlquist Decent, I got the decent because I felt it had better range of motion and better design for the marsupial pouches.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I replaced my Stohlquist X-Traxt with the Green, and I wish I hadn't.

The Green is a good jacket. But the Stohlquist PFDs are just more comfortable and functional.

I can't speak for the Ronin, but looking at it on their website, it doesn't look like anything special. Between your two options I'd choose the Green.

Without even wearing it the new Decent, I'd say your decision should be between the Green and the Stohlquist Decent.

Greenjacket:
Cons - The side pouch zippers ALWAYS ride open. I have to close every time I put it on, and my buddy's have to babysit them down longer runs.
It is kind-of a pain to put on and take off. With the over the head slip on design. (This is when I really miss the X-Traxt.) The front flotation seems to ride a little high. The patch to attach a knife is right in the middle of the vest. The way my knife sits (facing down) it catches on my paddle sometimes. The sizing is weird. I had to get the big one, cinch it down to a comfortable level and have a buddy trim and tack the straps as they were very long.

Pros- There is a little extra material on the shoulders, that really do help when carrying a boat. It isn't a lot, but it is enough to make a difference. The front pocket has lots of room. Other than the knife issue, once it is on, I almost forget I'm wearing a vest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts