Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a fan of the new Astral Green Jacket. I had the old one and loved it but lost it to the interstate. I replaced it with the new one but I am not happy with it. The knife placement is horrible as my hands hit the knife when I row and I know it will impede me getting back into a raft. I actually find the front pocket very bulky. I have the throw bag that fits behind it but it really sticks out there so I no longer carry it. Anyway I am wondering if anyone out there has the new Kokatat rescue jacket and has any input. I'm most interested in rowers perspectives. I'm sure the Green Jacket works great for kayakers it really doesn't for cat boaters. Imo.

Jim

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is my first season in the Maximus Centurion, and it is not bad. Prior to it I was wearing an Astral 300R which I still think is one of the best vests ever, but, it was getting a bit old, so I started looking for a new vest. I am 6'2", 225 on a good day, 34 inch inseam. I took the L/XL and it fits well for summer boating (over a shorty splash top) and winter (drysuit with a ton of layers)

The Centurion is extremely comfortable, and feels a bit more flexible then the Astral. It is really well thought out, and holds everything I need well. I switched from a fixed benchmade SH20 to a folding Spyderco rescue, and I like how tidy and away the knife is, but still deployable quite quickly. The vest is "long" and could be an issue in a highback seat depending on your torso length. With low back seats no problem, cheetah chair in a ducky, a little uncomfortable, but I could always try to get the vest to ride higher too.

I usually keep a pair of locking biners, 2 prussiks, GU, sunblock stick in the pockets, and sometimes I will add a bit more stuff, (beanie in cold weather) PLB while sea Kayaking, and it holds everything quite well.

While rowing (culebra or superpuma) I have not had any problems with oars catching on the front of the vest.

The QR belt is well thought out, with a clean path to the vest. I do feel like it takes a bit longer to get it on, secure it and get on the water than the 300R, but 20 times out, and I still like it.

I think it is a pretty solid rescue option for rowing

1 - 3 of 3 Posts