Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
no tengo
1,876 Posts
I think the only difference of importance is the skirt flap. Are you sure you won't kayak or even sea kayak? if not gfer is fine and might be a little cheaper.

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NRS has GMER today for 20% off. I was going to wait for REI's 20% off coupon in spring, but if I can pick up a dry suit now, I was going to go for it. Does the skirt flap get in a way at all if you are not using kayak skirt?

I never kayaked, or sea kayaked... but you never know. Good point mania.

·
For rafting, get the Supernova Paddling suit. It has booties, relief zipper and a more comfortable neck closure. Yes, I have one and no, water in the neck is not a problem. I wore it for one of Steve C's SWR courses and was in the water a lot.

·
Breathable Tropos fabric vs. high-end Gore-Tex. And the neck closure. And the cost.

·
no tengo
1,876 Posts
I primarily raft and have the GMER. the skirt flap does not get in the way. if you are doing a lot of really hard or cold whitewater you probably want the real drysuit with latex neck gasket and not the supernova which has only the neoprene neck gasket (more comfortable but a little water can get in especially if you swim or roll).

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A follow up question, do you get the size according to what clothes you wear, or do I want to get a size larger? If I am medium according to all size charts and Kokatat chart, should I get a medium dry suit or go large?

Sorry, never owned one, so no clue on this....

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well just purchased SuperNova medium for me and Large for my wife, she gets way cold.

Tom at Clavey told me I can return it if it's a wrong size. TJ, I am your size (5'10" 165lbs), so maybe I should go for Large. But I do hate lose clothes, I really like the stuff tight on me.

BTW for the help guys, Buzzers always come through on decision making :)

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I recommend you make sure to try it on with a LOT of clothing (at least 1 layer fleece, 2 LJ's, maybe even more) underneath before you decide it's the right size. And get down on your butt, do a bunch of scrunches and twists and flail your arms around. Basically check out that you have complete freedom of movement, with a bunch of fleece on underneath. I hate the way my drysuit looks, but you know, function is fashion, it's got to work or you've wasted a wad of money. When I was shopping, everyone I consulted with told me to go BIG. And I am glad for that. Swimming sucks enough, I am glad my drysuit isn't restrictive at all. And FWIW, I LOVE my neoprene gaskets (no latex, suit by OS), and have had the pleasure of testing them in a few beat-down swims.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Let me know what you think of your Supernova and the sizing when you get it. I'm thinking og getting one myself. Did you get relief zips / drop seat ?
KJ

Well just purchased SuperNova medium for me and Large for my wife, she gets way cold.

Tom at Clavey told me I can return it if it's a wrong size. TJ, I am your size (5'10" 165lbs), so maybe I should go for Large. But I do hate lose clothes, I really like the stuff tight on me.

BTW for the help guys, Buzzers always come through on decision making :)

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got the supernova yesterday. It fits perfect, I am glad I went with the Medium. My wife got Large, thinking she'd need more clothes under it, but it seems too big, I think we will send hers back. She is about 5'8" 130 lbs. I am 5'10" 167 lbs and the Medium fits very nice and I have plenty of space for polyester lining.

I am very impressed with the neck gasket. It's very tight but comfy, I can see how latex would be annoying over a long period of time. You definitely want nice river boots to go with the dry suit, it's would be easy to puncture the attached booties on something sharp.

I pumped a bunch of air into the dry suit and zipped up, it was holding the air for a long time. If air has a hard time escaping, obviously the water will stay out.

This is my first dry suit, so I don't have as much experience as others, but so far I am impressed. The relief/drop door is perfect! My wife is sure happy.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I recommend you make sure to try it on with a LOT of clothing (at least 1 layer fleece, 2 LJ's, maybe even more) underneath before you decide it's the right size. And get down on your butt, do a bunch of scrunches and twists and flail your arms around. Basically check out that you have complete freedom of movement, with a bunch of fleece on underneath. I hate the way my drysuit looks, but you know, function is fashion, it's got to work or you've wasted a wad of money. When I was shopping, everyone I consulted with told me to go BIG. And I am glad for that. Swimming sucks enough, I am glad my drysuit isn't restrictive at all. And FWIW, I LOVE my neoprene gaskets (no latex, suit by OS), and have had the pleasure of testing them in a few beat-down swims.
Which OS suit do you have? What was the price? Is it breathable? Relief zip / drop seat?
Thanks
KJ

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Which OS suit do you have? What was the price? Is it breathable? Relief zip / drop seat?
Thanks
KJ
Very good questions, however I don't recall offhand the specifics, but I'll try. I did a sort of "build your own". I started with the surface/ spirit back entry economy, because I wanted the rear shoulder zipper and no internal suspenders, that zipper allowed me to do an external belt whereas the front zip wouldn't have. It is breathable. I also did the full custom sizing deal, which added a pretty penny ($250 pre-discount or so). I think I paid a bit more for the neoprene gaskets, but not much. I also added some pockets, relief zip and reflective piping. I wouldn't bother forking out the cash again for the relief zip, I don't use it even with one of those little gee-whiz things. It was looking like it was going to cost a ton, then they offered a 30% or so discount as long as I was a member of any "water" organization, and they accepted my membership with AW. I think it came in around $850 all told.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Got my Kokatat Super Nova suit today. Fits great, even with thick fleece. I took lhowemt's advice and did some yoga poses in the suit to make sure I had freedom of movement. I like the neoprene neck. Don't think I could have tolerated latex around my neck all day. What footwear do you folks suggest over the fabric booties?
Ready for some spring river adventures !!!!!!
KJ

·
I wear NRS Attack shoes/Booties when I wear my Supernova.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Man you guys have got me questioning myself, i was just about to buy a GFER but the idea of a neoprene neck gasket has me wondering, do they actually keep water out?

Ihowemt, you say you've tested the OS's neck neoprene, has anyone swam with Kokatat's neck neoprene gasket?

The idea of being on the river in January warm and comfortable seem too good to be true, if i get a neoprene neck gasket, will i constantly worry about swimming in the first 1/2 of the trip? I'm a class III / IV- paddler

1 - 20 of 27 Posts