Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a Grey's/Deso trip in July and am wondering what are requirements for kids PFDs. All I see is that they should be "properly sized". We have a few type III PFD for the kids that are "properly sized" for their weight but the tags say suggested for "water skiiing and wakeboarding". Are these OK for use on the river in UT??? or will the ranger not allow us to use these for the kids???

Thanks in advance. - Ryan

·
Registered
36 Posts
They need to say "boating" for intended use. The ranger we had for Deso checked all the kids jackets for this wording.

·
Registered
172 Posts
also depends on your kid, my middle kid is a stick, and even though he tries to eat his body weight daily, just gets taller without any increase in girth. I started him in an Astral otter, but have now moved him to an MTI bob, the bob is lower quality, but has a crotch strap so he is less likely to wiggle out of it.

https://www.mtiadventurewear.com/products/kids/web250d-bob

They do pop up on sale in places too. I think I was able to find mine for about 40.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
They need to say "boating" for intended use. The ranger we had for Deso checked all the kids jackets for this wording.
Errybody knows the PFD's for tree climbing, motocross, and skydiving suck for rafting. :D

(not chirping you, wfinley, just commenting on the absurdity that is our government)

·
Never enough free time
350 Posts
Here's your answer from the official Coast Guard website. All Type III's are required to have the same amount of buoyancy which is a minimum of 15.5 lbs

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/CG-ENG-4/PFDSel/

TYPE III PFDS / FLOTATION AIDS: For general boating or the specialized activity that is marked on the device such as water skiing, hunting, fishing, canoeing, kayaking and others. Good for calm, inland waters, or where there is a good chance for fast rescue. Designed so that wearing it will complement your boating activities:

Inherently Buoyant Type III PFDs
Inflatable Type III PFDs
Hybrid Type III PFDs

...Note: The Coast Guard is working with the PFD community to revise the classification and labeling of PFDs. When completed, this information will be updated and hopefully be somewhat easier to understand. Meanwhile, spending a few minutes to understand the many options available to find a PFD that you’re willing to wear could mean the difference between life and death for you or a loved one.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
These work excellent.

We have a Grey's/Deso trip in July and am wondering what are requirements for kids PFDs. All I see is that they should be "properly sized". We have a few type III PFD for the kids that are "properly sized" for their weight but the tags say suggested for "water skiiing and wakeboarding". Are these OK for use on the river in UT??? or will the ranger not allow us to use these for the kids???

Thanks in advance.
These worked excellent for me and my family, and have never been turned down. I don't know the ranger's like I use to, some can be real sticklers, plus their just doing one of their many responsibilities on checking your PFD's. Good luck and have nice river trip, remember a good quality PFD for the kid's is always worth it. Plus I have never heard anyone say to me, this Life Jacket had tooo much buoyancy when I lifted their ass out of the river!!

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts

Thanks in advance. - Ryan

Nope. Talked to the ranger last week at the put in and was surprised that people actually do what you are suggesting.

As previously mentioned take care of your kids and get a proper vest. I am amazed that anyone would spend as much $ as is required to outfit a boat and skimp on the thing that will save their kids life. Then again I like my kids... most of the time.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Read your permit - it states the following:
g. a properly-sized Type I, III, or V PFD (approved on the label for paddling, whitewater, kayaking) for each member of the party.

No mention of wake boarding in the reg.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Recently I've heard that type (i.e. I, III, IV) is not as important than the label is Cost Guard issued and states that the PFD is approved for paddling. Many that are approved for paddling specifically state that they are not approved for use on motor boats over certain mph (water skiing/ wakeboarding).

Mostly important for proper fit for any person, children and adults, is to make sure you can lift them into a boat by the shoulder straps and not have it come over their head. The bottom strap is the most important, make sure everyone in your party keeps it snug.

Enjoy your trip! Deso is beautiful, the drive to Sand Wash is bizarre, make sure your have a spare tire or two.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts