Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a kayaker, too clumsy and scared of being upside down after some rolls 1/2 way around in various creeks!
BUT, my 7 year old daughter has recently paddled beside the raft on the Chama and the San Juan. Didn't run big rapids as we've got a 6' lifetime sit on top kayak.
She's loving it and we're thinking of getting her to try a hard side and learn to roll.
Does anyone in the Denver metro area have one we could borrow or rent or trade beer for? Or recommend a place to rent one?
She's 7 years old, 55 lbs and 51" tall. She's strong and super flexible, the gym where she does gymnastics is pushing her towards a junior olympics track and we're resisting and letting her have fun in lots of sports.
Here she is in moving water

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Go to Confluence Kayaks downtown, they can help her understand the different options available in boats and what she might enjoy the most. Demos/rentals/think they have a pool and offer lessons if you wanted to go that route. There used to be a kids club out of Lyons maybe, not sure if that is still around. It is always awesome to see kids get excited for water sports, good on you.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've talked to Confluence, they're great. They moved about a year ago and are out of the pool/instruction business, but gave me some names. I've got a buddy that's pretty awesome and has offered to spend a 1/2 day with her or so and see what develops.
Confluence rents a Jackson sidekick, but it's more expensive than I was hoping, which is expected.
If anyone has one to loan/trade for beer, etc when your kid's not using it, please let me know.
Thanks again,
Jon

·
Photographer | Geologist
62 Posts
My 10 (now 11) started out with a Side Kick and then we added a Shooting Star. Once he got in these boats, he never looked back. They are both designed for kids, easy to roll, and paddle. All designed for a positive experience. You can purchase used ones between $250-350 USD. Renting one, what price for a life long activity? Priceless. Also, Team River Runner - Lakewood, has a few Side Kicks in their fleet. Free to vets...

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I agree on the Sidekick, Shooting Star, and also the WS Fuse...and Remix 47. Also check out the Soul Mini Me for smaller kids.

I'm not as huge a fan of the Fun1 or Fun 1.5 for beginner kids. They're quite a bit more edgy than the above boats.

Disclaimer:
My kids were rolling at age 7 and 9. I pushed them too hard, and they both quit at 8 and 10. They're now 15/17 and thinking about getting back into it.

I'm now helping teach youth kayak classes, and my girls' old boats are in the fleet.
Younger daughter learned in the Fun 1.5. Easy boat on flat water and in the pool, but edgy in moving water. Older daughter learned in the Remix 47, and had a hand roll within a month. The Remix was a great boat in moving water.

TL/DR:...so I like rounder, more slippery hulls for kids on moving water. And remember not to push them too hard.

·
Photographer | Geologist
62 Posts
As a follow up to MT4Runner, agreed....your kiddo should be self motivated. Also, shoot for the positive experience. Take it in steps, but do it right.

In addition, my son has been in water since 6 mo old, and is self motivated...on occasion, I'll nudge him if he misses a roll or something. He did pool sessions 2-3 times per week over the winter, and got all his rolls and worked on his stalls. But, he started getting bored when challenges disappeared, and few kids were in attendance. Same applied to creeking and play parks. Have your daughter boat with other kids similar in age, and keep it fun. My son and I are going to Boulder Creek this AM and see who does the most epic boofs and try to have a funky fun time before the tubers show up. FUN.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Friend (of a friend) of mine had 2 old kids kayaks she wanted to get rid of. No recollection of models other than they were probably Jackson. I'll see if she still has them.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Friend (of a friend) of mine had 2 old kids kayaks she wanted to get rid of. No recollection of models other than they were probably Jackson. I'll see if she still has them.
That would be awesome, I was reading Mt4runners and was going to ask what he did with them, but saw they were in his fleet.
Slow is the name of the game for sure. If we're not having fun, it's not fun! Water sports should be fun.
Thanks for the replies and the help, hoping steelpot's friend of a friend can help.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree on the Sidekick, Shooting Star, and also the WS Fuse...and Remix 47. Also check out the Soul Mini Me for smaller kids.

I'm not as huge a fan of the Fun1 or Fun 1.5 for beginner kids. They're quite a bit more edgy than the above boats.

Disclaimer:
My kids were rolling at age 7 and 9. I pushed them too hard, and they both quit at 8 and 10. They're now 15/17 and thinking about getting back into it.

I'm now helping teach youth kayak classes, and my girls' old boats are in the fleet.
Younger daughter learned in the Fun 1.5. Easy boat on flat water and in the pool, but edgy in moving water. Older daughter learned in the Remix 47, and had a hand roll within a month. The Remix was a great boat in moving water.

TL/DR:...so I like rounder, more slippery hulls for kids on moving water. And remember not to push them too hard.
Thank you for posting this.....My kids are 10 1/2 and 13. I have never pushed them. We have loads of options for paddling around. They jump in and out of boats, boards, etc all the time. I get the feeling my friends don't understand why they aren't running the local rivers yet. I just don't want them to have a bad experience. Now this year they are both show A LOT of interest. We've done a little pool time. We are on/at the river several days per week (It's hot, we go to the beaches or WW Parks). I think the venom may be taking effect. So.....I maintain that parents shouldn't push little ones too hard to get into this sport. Sorry for the hijack!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I left a message for my friend who had the kids boats yesterday. I haven't heard back yet. I think she may be traveling for a week or two? She works for the airlines. I'll let you know when I hear anything.

Cheers!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Jonseim,

I have a kiddo fun and paddle that I could drag down to town sometime if she/yall wanted to give it a try... I don't have a spray skirt for it yet as it is for my 5 yr old, and we aren't to the point of needing it yet... The boat is good up to 90lbs if i remember right...

It is a edgy boat in comparison to the kids remix. I have a feeling i will be hunting a remix in the next couple of years as we move out of the lake/pool...

I used to be an instructor and got a prodeal on the jackson. I simply couldn't pass it up at the time.

I will be working with my son on rolling next season, and wouldn't mind keeping you in the loop on it. I would be down to help this season, but I am on injured reserve getting over a lumbar surgery for the remainder on this year... tough life though I tell you with these beer floats on a low water year lol...

Feel free to give me a shout sometime!

eight,THREE,zero,83tWO,zERO584

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Thank you for posting this.....My kids are 10 1/2 and 13. I have never pushed them. We have loads of options for paddling around. They jump in and out of boats, boards, etc all the time. I get the feeling my friends don't understand why they aren't running the local rivers yet. I just don't want them to have a bad experience. Now this year they are both show A LOT of interest. We've done a little pool time. We are on/at the river several days per week (It's hot, we go to the beaches or WW Parks). I think the venom may be taking effect. So.....I maintain that parents shouldn't push little ones too hard to get into this sport. Sorry for the hijack!
If it helps even one family, it's worth posting!!

Being upside-down in a kayak on the river is terrifying. Think about how many adults are scared to even try it.
Think also about all the variables on the river--we love her because she's in a constant state of flux, but it's a lot for a kid's mind to process.

awesome that they're constantly jumping in/on/off/around boats and boards. That's where balance comes from. It's not dumping them in Class II and wishing them good luck.

BTW, my 16.5yo daughter has been running the Lochsa in my round boat since she was 12, and she LOVES Class IV--she's just scared of hardshells. We just got off of an awesome weeklong trip on the Main, and I just about flipped in Big Mallard, but she saved us with a bomber highside.

Have fun with your kids on the water, ID Surfer!

SYOTR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts