Mountain Buzz banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently called someone on a wanted ad because I had exactly what he was looking for at a VERY good price. He was excited at first, and COMMITTED to it (pending my accurate description of course). But then he informed me that he has a wholesale account and over the next week started complaining because my price (on a brand new boat/frame) was only about $400 below his wholesale account price (before shippin)(and he wanted to make sure I would share that too). I still could have had it to him in plenty of time for his trips (two months from now) and I was planning on driving it myself next weekend, but when I missed the first attempt this weekend he text-ed me that he wanted out of the deal (and how that would be much better for me too) and NRS has new lopro design that he likes better anyway. At that point I knew he would find something to complain about upon receipt, so I gave up.

Now in order to try to make this shipment happen I spent a shitload of money and time. I gave up visits with my friends and family on my existing trip and I did all of this because I'm desperate for the money and already committed the money when he committed to me, and I explained all of that at the time.

I hold myself responsible, do my homework, and have reasonable expectations. When I give my word, that's it, I keep it and I follow through even if that means I loose money or I don't get as good of a deal as I thought. In fact I have lost money or gotten a worse deal several times on ebay and craigslist because I consider my word to be worth more than any amount that I lose by breaking it.

Am I alone? This seems to be happening more and more these days. Am I a dying breed? (I'm just talking about my honor here;)) or are there others like that here?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Someone said "I give you my word: I'm buying your raft." Then contacted me to say his wife (yeah blame it on her!) found a raft for less money, so he could only buy my raft if I matched the other price.
Yeah, it ticked me off a bit, but I think it goes along with selling stuff yourself.
In hindsight, I'm actually glad I had this good reason to stop dealing with this person -- who knows what other crap would have come up?

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I've been down that road. Keep looking at other customers until you have a signed bill of sale or money in hand. He has every right to back out of a verbal agreement. Get documentation signed, even if its via email.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
That's great your word is worth something. Not everyones is. When dealing with randoms on over the internet assume theirs is not. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Doing the things you say you are going to do is what divides the adults from the children.

I've had several deals fall through but I've also had several go flawlwssly.

Nothing is sold until the money is in hand. I don't 'hold' stuff for anyone. The first person to deliver money wins. Ask a rasonable price and people will be competing to buy your stuff.

·
Super Moderator
4,053 Posts
Its sold when you have the money in your hand. Till then, its just talk.
It's a bummer but this seems to be the rule when dealing with anyone you make contact with on the interwebs. If it's someone I know personally, then I'll hold it until it's convenient to do the deal. I've held CL stuff for someone who never showed up, so the first person to show up gets it. If several have expressed interest, tell them so and that the first one there with $$ gets the item. If they really want it, they'll be motivated to get there.

If someone starts complaining about the price and how they can get it cheaper of for just a little more somewhere else, then I'd wish them well and tell them to go for it. Then you'll find out if they're just BSing you to drop the price.

-AH

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
I drove from Colorado Springs to BV because I was picking up a paddle from someone on MB who said it was mine to have for the agreed price.

We spoke the day before and arranged a time and place to meet. I get 10 minutes out of BV and I call to tell him I'm 10 minutes out and 10 minutes early and he tells me he sold the paddle to someone else.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Sorry you had a bad experience. I just wanted to chime in and say that I've sold and bought dozens of items on the 'buzz swap from $5 to thousands and I've generally had good experiences with the members of this community.

Craigslist is something else entirely. I use a Google phone number and meet them in a public place. Sometimes people don't show, sometimes they have the gall to haggle once I'm there in person, and sometimes the deal goes great. I don't give them my real number or address, however. You never know when someone might think returns are accepted. ..

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
People call me bobbails behind my back as an insult. It is because I have asked for information on a run, then asked to be taken down the run and then canceled on the run because I don't have the nerve to put on.

I am aware I have done this, I am improving on it.

I know this is not the DMV, but thank you, I feel better.

I will sing 10 living in americas.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think it is a sign of where this country is going. There are so many people out there these days that have no respect for someone's time. People go back on their word all the time, last summer I hired several people that then never showed up for work. I have an apartment that I rent out, every time I have to find a new renter, I have several people set up an appointment and then never show. They do not call, they do not show up, they do not apologize for wasting my time.
I just had one last week that was supposed to meet me to look at the apartment at 6:pm. At 6:05 he called me to say he was just leaving, had an errand to run and would most likely be here in an hour. I said no, I have plans to be at dinner in an hour. I was not lying, I did have plans. It this case it is not just my wasted time, since I have a renter in the apartment, I have to coordinate with him, it wastes his time too.

It appears to me that these people who go back on their word, or waste your time do not care at all that their actions are rude.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have had experiences on both sides of the spectrum. I recently made arrangements to buy a trailer from someone on MB. He had an offer, for more than we agreed on, before we planned to meet. He kept his word and sold it to me at a slight loss. There are still plenty of honest people out there...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Its great that you are man of your word. But don't get taken advantage of for trying to do the right thing. If you realize that something you've committed to buying is overpriced don't go thru with it. Its a two way street. Don't expect random people on the internet to be men of there word. I've been burned, this guy was selling his car on the internet, we went and looked at it and liked it. He agreed that I could have a mechanic check it out so I took time off work, paid $150, had it looked at and was going to buy. Last minute he decided he wasn't selling. I guess I should signed a sales agreement pending inspection. There are always things you can do to protect yourself.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I use pinger phone numbers. free to setup, free text and 10 free minutes of talk on a smartphone. Use it and lose it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bummer about the money but I think the rule of thumb is that the deal isn't done until the money and items change hands; certainly don't spend it before you get it. I think it's okay to back out on a deal if the seller doesn't provide all the info or if key details change. I tried to buy a new-ish boat/used trailer setup from a guy on the buzz once. I asked for the boat's serial number several times and representative photos of the actual setup before shipping arrangements were made but he never provided them. Said he was out of town and would get them when he got home but never did. He actually seemed irritated that I would need these details and assured me everything was as he stated. A week after we negotiated the price, still no photos or serial number, he "remembered" that key details about the frame were different and the trailer title was in someone else's name. He then informed me that if I backed out he would be screwed because he made the mistake of already spending the money. Things started to seem sketchy and and saving a few hundred bucks didn't really seem worth the hassle and risk. Ultimately (thankfully) the deal fell through because of complications on his end. The dude dropped a few F-bombs, blamed me for all the time he spent organizing the gear he was selling, blamed me for his debt and then tried to slander me a little online. Bottom line: I still have my hard earned money and avoided a sketchy transaction. Buyer or seller beware...people are weird and you just never know.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I drove from Colorado Springs to BV because I was picking up a paddle from someone on MB who said it was mine to have for the agreed price.

We spoke the day before and arranged a time and place to meet. I get 10 minutes out of BV and I call to tell him I'm 10 minutes out and 10 minutes early and he tells me he sold the paddle to someone else.
Dude, that's shitty.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I do my best to stick to a first contact/first serve courtesy when selling gear as long as the interested party will commit to a reasonable date/time. If they cancel without notifying me or try to delay too long I'll move on to the next person in line. When peeps from Mbuzz contact me I let them know if a sale is pending, then follow-up when the item is sold or if the first buyer fell through.

On a recent purchase I was the first one who reached out to the seller. He mentioned he needed some time to pull the gear out of storage and would follow-up with me. I was pleasantly surprised when the seller reached out to me a week or so later and gave me first dibs since I had been first one to contact him.

On the flip side, trying to buy gear from someone who has had bad experiences in the past can be a huge pain! I recently drove two hours one way to buy some gear and did not want an experience like Theo had. The seller didn't do paypal so there was no way to send some money in advance. I had to get creative with that seller and over-communicate until I was sure that he knew I was legit and that he would hold it until I got there that afternoon with money in hand.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yeah people suck and are literally, on average, stupid.... I expect it and therefore am never surprised. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised when they don't suck....but they will, so it doesn't matter. People earn my respect and trust, until then I am skeptical of everyone and make sure to protect myself. I can only count on myself in this world.

Once I learned to accept that ^^^ and truly believe it, my life got a lot easier. You have to look out for #1 (you) because no one else will...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.