Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Already jonsing hard way to early into the winter. The pics keep me going throughout the day... Don't be shy, show your stuff!!!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Challege..

I might be in for this Foamie Race. The water levels are starting to look perfect.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
All kidding aside.... I'll have 2 foamies ready by Christmas. I might need a little pre race warm up (Budweiser) but am down for a foamie race

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guys,
Sorry to sound naive, but what the hell is a foamies race and does it have anything to do with beer foam? :twisted:

smg

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Foamies (As I just learned myself) are little kayaks that are made out of wood (I have also seen really intricate minicell ones).

From what I can tell it's an east coast thing. Reason I say that is that EVERYONE I met on my last trip back east made these things and has "Foamie Races".

To be honest... it sounds like a fun thing to get set up for the winter. You could easily do it at Confluenza Park or Golden.

Craw

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Regina great to see you're alive. Foamies are as Craw described. Apparently the cedar ones are "the best" People that use them greatly improve their river reading skills and kill time when you can't boat. It might sound a little juvenile but that nothing that a few beer bongs can't correct. WHO WANTS SOME????

Regina come get your medicine you can pay Marty or me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am in! Matt and Marty, I was reading article in AW about carving foamies. It's just like good old Chet in his Adventure People FP plastic kayak battling the micro steep creeks of South Eastern PA (the rich folks used to drain their pools into the gutter on my hill creating the perfect wild water run for Chet). What other woods are you trying?
:shock:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think a foamie race should absolutely be set up. Maybe a combined downriver race and rodeo would be the way to go. I was running a foamie at Confluence about a week ago. The eddies are kind of sticky, but the little guy rolled up everytime, and didn't get sick at all.

This could be a great thing for Confluence Kayaks to sponsor. A beer tent (or wagon) and some shwag for the winner would make for an entertaining afternoon, as long as it didn't conflict with a powder day.

Any interest?

·
Registered
281 Posts
i've got some video footage from a foamie roadeo and creek challenge we did a few years ago, if you gys need some ideas...the creek race ended up being the best part...sending them off waterfalls and through tight channels, then off a 50 footer in the "end"...good stuff...hippy holidays fellas...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Seriuosly, I am in for a foamie race. Confluence or Golden sounds good. About what sizes and what types of wood are people using? Regina, I am headed to Costa Rica in April. Need beta from you! I want to start carving a boat over the holidays.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jamie,
I would be happy to tell you all i know about CR. I am going to ouray for ice climbing february 4th through 6th if you are interested, but if not, lets talk. I'm off to argentina for a couple weeks, but call me after the 14th of february.
Regina

1 - 14 of 14 Posts