Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if long skis can get on, can kayaks? i'm going to a lake for the week in PA and need to bring my kayak. does it cost extra money? any help would be awesome.

liam

·
Registered
790 Posts
Each airline has different policies...you need to check with them.
There are some tricks to getting a kayak on the plane...

Search this topic here and on boatertalk. There have been numerous threads on flying w/ kayak and they will yield usefull info.

·
Registered
92 Posts
some airlines have a stirct no kayak policy but they allow surfboards. when I flew with the "no kayaks, surfboards are fine" bastards at american airlines I just wrapped my boat up really well and called it surfing equipment when they asked me what it was. they charged me 70 bones, which I understand to be pretty standard. I would just call ahead of time, find out the policy of the airline you are flying with and if they say no boats, figure out a way to get around it. good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
like the others said some airlines will and some won't. Call ahead. Once I was at the gate and had to go all the way back to check in when they (delta) found out that what I had told them was a surf board was actually my EZ. I've never understood why surfboards are cool and kayaks are not.

·
Registered
85 Posts
the whole surfboard/kayak thing came about beacusse of people trying to check touring/sea kayaks and fiberglass boats, both of which are harder to transport than a surfboard. The airlines decided that their staff were not smart enough to figure out which kayaks were alright and which were not so they just made a blanket no-boat policy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts