Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just pondering my night paddling experience on Shoshone and was wondering if people ever paddle at night with headlamps on rivers they are very familiar with.

I have heard of moonlight rafting trips. Do kayakers paddle at night intentionally?
(unlike my semi-unplanned night paddles on Shoshone)

After Hours Paddle and Takeout Party on Shoshone
http://www.savagesnow.com/whitewate...k_paddling/pd044_shoshone_night_paddling.html

-Dan

·
Registered
245 Posts
dude, I've gotta say, nice score on the gig!!

I would imagine a light might help, with a good waterproof one, but I'm sure some would warn that it's a rather dangerous prospect!! maybe flashers on the bottoms of the boats so you can see if someone's stuck upside down drifting downstream!!!

or how about rigging a light system inside the boats, that would make them all glow all over!!?!??! now that would be sweet!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
I've heard of kayakers taping glow sticks to their helmets at night (maybe use clear packing tape, NOT duct tape). I'd certainly do that if I were boating at night so I could be found if I took a swim...

As for lighting up the kayak from the inside, that's a cool thought but you'd probably need something pretty bright.

I've heard of folks boating Brown's at on full moon nights & that it even gets a bit crowded.

--Andy

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am a writer and boater in Glenwood Springs and this sounds like a pretty cool, unique thing. Would anyone with info or who is organizing a night paddle on Shoshone (or anywhere near Glenwood) give drop me a line.
[email protected] or 970-945-8515 or 303-809-0483

Thanks for your help,

Ryan Graff

·
Registered
245 Posts
I bet you could get those battery operated christmas lights and seal the battery box, it wouldn't be really bright (i.e. enough to help you see) but I bet it'd be fun!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Count me in if anyone gets excited about setting up a Shoshone "lighted" night paddle.
It seems that a minimum agreed upon lighting method would have to be settled on for all participants.
That way we would have a realistic chance of being able to spot people in trouble.

I don't know if I know Shoshone well enough to be the lead paddler on such an event. I'm sure hanging back and observing the bobbing lights ahead of you would be the safest manner of proceeding for those who don't know Shoshone intimately.
A full moon on a clear night might be handy as well.

This would make a great entry for my Learning to Kayak journal.
If anyone is really interested, send me an email.
If I get a dozen or so interested persons, I will put together a proposal and email it back to everyone.
[email protected]
Please send your suggestions with the email if you have ideas about how to proceed.
-Dan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, I just had another idea....

What if we do Cemetary first as a trial run.
It would have less consequences, and we could make sure our strategies worked as hoped.
Email me to get on the Night Paddle List.
[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Headlamps can be nice for the wearer, but they suck to be around. Everyone else's headlamp will ruin your night vision.

we used to paddle boulder creek at night in winter regularly when they had releases. Your night vision would get pretty good until that one dude with a headlamp came up near you. Headlights from the curvy road really sucked too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Lemme shed some light on this topic...

I think you could mount a big "NASCAR redneck style" 1/4 wave CB radio whip antenna to the stern (triple mag mount style with a metal plate inside, held in place with flotation) then attach a flare or two to it. Those with billed helmets wouldn't be blinded.

Bonus: When you flip, it would break away and the flare would mark the hazard, becoming a capture the flare contest.

Break 1-9 yellow ducky... looks like we got us a convoy.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Whatever happened to night kayaking with headlamps? It seemed like a cool idea.

I thought it would work. Many head lamps are pretty powerful and most are water proof. The white foam should reflect nicely. I don't think being blinded is that likely--most people are facing downstream.

I especially like the idea of putting a second light in the boat to make it glow. I bet that would work. It would look real neat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There was not quite an avalanche of emails supporting the cause.
The idea got started a little too late this season.

I have a few interested people on the list now.
If you want to be on the night paddling email list for next spring, send me a note.
[email protected]

I will reintroduce the project early next season with plans to do Cemetary at Glenwood Springs first. We might do the Upper C as well.
The idea is to get some good safe procedures figured out, and then tackle Shoshone.
-Dan

·
Registered
399 Posts
Dan you wuss, I run it at 2am after the bars with the funguy! I say this Saturday night Gunni Gorge (flows will be up!) 9pm with some berverages. No light except for snackies. I might be abel to talk a buddy into raft support. I'm serious. :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's fun but it sure makes you pucker when you can hear something big and can't see it. Even little stuff sounds big at night.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's fun but it sure makes you pucker when you can hear something big and can't see it. Even little stuff sounds big at night.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Headlamps?

A rack of the beast, some fungus, hopefully a moon. no need for headlamps, distracts from the flow.
gore was my most memorable, Pilar at 8000cfs was intense, pueblo was scary and fast, cascados micos hurt, don't remember the box, pine creek and the #'s at 6000cfs was stupid, but the memories and friendships are unforgettable. Find the force @ be safe.
adios, atom....
ps, that was back in the wild days.
Older=wiser & alive-DULCE VIDA

·
Registered
698 Posts
86 the headlamps.....save them for camping.... if you have concerns... use different color glow sticks....red on the boat, green on the body... this will help you save the person's kayak!!!!! any amount of moon will help.... like somebody posted.... your eyes and ears will make adjustments.....it is fun being upside down in the dark.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts