Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am out in DC tomorrow and have a free day. I remember reading a while back that there is some great kayaking on the Potomac. Is this true? I tried to find something on Google, but couldn't find anything. How far from DC, and any info on anyone who rents out everything, as all the gear is at home in CO.

·
Registered
966 Posts
You could try call or look up "river and trail outfitters" (near Harper's Ferry, WV). I worked for them a million years ago but they're good people and could give you good scoop. I think its too late for the North Branch of the Potomac to be running. There used to be a play wave called WHITE HORSE below the confluence of the Potomac/Shenandoah, near the take out for the daily stretch. Even if there's no big play its a BEAUtiful stretch of river..."blue ridge mountains, shenandoah river....."

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mather Gorge is probably best. I don't know anyone who rents out whitewater gear though.. there's a couple places to rent a kayak and go on flatwater. If you want more detailed info on mather gorge, send a pm

·
Registered
790 Posts
If you are a class 4+ to 5 paddler you'll want to rent some gear and a creekboat at Potomac Paddlesports, then just drive to the MARYLAND side of Great Falls in the afternoon and ask someone if you can run with them. OR rent a playboat, drive to Old Anglers and paddle upstream t the playspots. OR rent a playboat, paddle the falls an Mather gorge down to the playspots and then paddle the canal back up.

Its sooo worth it! Great boating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts