Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this is mostly a co forum, but was curious if any of you have kayaked some of the rivers out east. i live in asheville nc, and have heard things about the green river. i was wondering if any of you have heard about this river, or better yet, run it. i'm new to kayaking, and soon hope to persue it more seriously. i know that a lot of the companies (dagger, perception) are based near here, so i just assumed there would be some good kayaking nearby.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
By the way- for all you COlorado boaters, Leland has put together a great CCR-esque guidebook (with Gordon's help). Grab a copy from AW's website and start planning your trip. He really did a great job, and the book highlights what a fantastic area this is.

http://www.nccreeks.com/

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
Word to that, I just got a copy of NCRC and the friggin thing is like crack, I can't put it down. Such a good book, amazing pics!! So yeah, to answer your question, go get a copy of the North Carolina Rivers & Creeks book, it'll tell ya everyting you need to know.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Boatertalk.com is a better place for beta on the SE. You probably live in of the three best boating places in the US (Fayetteville and Hood River being the probable others). Since you are new, I presume you area talking about the Lower Green - I've never done it, but I've seen lots of tubers putting in where we take out for the Narrows.

Carolina Whitewater is a good book, as is Southeastern Whitewater, but I think both may be out of print. Appalachian Whitewater is ok and in print. Haven't seen much of the new NCRC, but it looks like eye candy from what I have seen. Quick primer for Asheville: easier rivers out there - Lower Green, Hiawasse, Tuckaseegee, Nantahala. From there the Pigeon, FB, and the Ocoee. And from there, you'll know what you want to start paddling next. Lots of folks boating and it's much easier to learn in the SE than in the West (warm water). Enjoy.

·
River Gypsy
255 Posts
no Colorado shops yet.

I'd love to be in some shops in Colorado, but we haven't really had a lot of time to branch out and start making calls to shops out there yet.

if you want to get it at your local shop, suggest to them that they give us a call or email so we can get the books out that way.

828.298.6687 or email [email protected]

Leland

1 - 11 of 11 Posts