Mountain Buzz banner

Kayaking in Chile Qs

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Pucon Kayak Retreat 
#1 ·
What are some must do runs in Chile for class IV-V? Best place to rent a kayak? We would be renting our own van or truck and traveling around. We will have about 2 weeks in February and want to boat every day so, if someone who knows what they are talking about has some free time, a loose itinerary for a two week period would be awesome. Thanks!

#2 ·
As of 5 years ago, there were lots of rental options in Pucon. I'm not sure if stuff is still running in Pucon by February, but there are endless creeks. Levels were pretty much perfect in late November/early December. I understand that flows should be prime for Futa in February. Travel to Futa is easier from Argentina than from Chile, but crossing international borders in a rental can be problematic.

Rodrigo of Kayak Pucon was super helpful. You might call or email. HOME - Kayak Pucon Chile Kayaking Rafting Trip Courses Clinic Kayak Pucon - Day Trips

#5 ·
Chile Kayaks and Logistics

Hi Turtle,

My name is David Hughes and I'm the owner of Pucon Kayak Hostel. I'll be happy to address your questions.

A. Kayaks - we rent Chile's best and freshest selection of kayaks including: Tunas, Mambas, Newmads and old Nomads, Flying Squirrels, Zet selections, Remix', and 9Rs. Cost is $US20/day.

B. Class IV-V in February - Thus far we've been experiencing a low year from north to south. With that said December is currently experiencing a great rain flow of several days including today, Christmas.
February is similar to June or July in Colorado and many of your classic creeks are drying. The Pucon area runs like the Palguin and Trancura hold well. You should expect the Upper Fuy to be dry but the Middle Fuy would be a great V run with the bono 50 footer as the icing on the cake. It and the Truful Truful are day trips from the hostel.
To the north 9 hours you might enjoy the Maipo. And everyone loves the Futa to the south.

We'd be enthusiastic to host you as you get on your feet and notch some of the Pucon runs. And help with your logistics if you need it.

Keep Kayaking.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.