Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading from Arizona up to Stanley, Idaho next week for a Middle Fork trip and plan to leave a few days early. Does anyone out there have any recommendations on places to boat between Twin Falls and Salmon, Idaho? In particular, I'm looking for places with up to easy Class 3 sections that I can solo and bike shuttle, and/or play spots. I'm also considering going to Boise's play park and then up to the Banks area. Any and all recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
539 Posts
If you're going from Twin Falls to Salmon, you'll skip out on Boise and all of the boating on the Boise, Payette, and lower Snake and Salmon systems.

Nonetheless, there's a few places in the Twin Falls and Hagerman areas - Bliss reach, which is class 3 and has a great surf wave; the "Sewer" run of the Snake, which is past Centennial Park and Canyon Springs Golf Course - great, short class 3 but no surf waves; the Murtaugh, if it comes in, is more a Class 4 but is an epic run. Lots of surf in that canyon, one park and play spot. Also, the Malad is amazing if its in, both upper and lower. There's a lot of fun stuff in Eastern Idaho, too. Alpine Canyon, Bitch Creek, etc.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Suggestions:
- Daily section of the Salmon at the old Sunbeam dam section, just outside of Stanley- put in above or below the old dam. Explore the old mining dredge on the Yankee fork and the ghost town history of Custer/Bonanza.
- Daily sections of the Salmon near Shoup (North Fork), Idaho, about 20+ miles above where the Middle Fork dumps into the Main. Pine Creek to Panther Creek is the best section. All roadside, nothing harder than class III - fun run, warmer water, bike shuttle very doable, etc. If you don't run this before the Middle, run it after - great way to end a trip.
- Drive up to Missoula and hit the Clark's Fork - big water fun and a fantastic drive. A bit out of the way but worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Phil if you’re still up there try to check out some sections of the South Payette. There is some gnarly stuff and some moderate stuff, and it’s almost all road accessible. The Lochsa just west of Missoula has a legendary surf wave and great class 3 and it’s roadside the whole time. Probably a little late with the flows, though. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts