Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new Cadet at USAFA. What are the good rivers and good season in Colorado. I am a class IV kayaking with a Mamba. Also when the season starts are there any stores near Colorado Springs where I could meet people who are experienced on the rivers so I don't have to scout every single run when I go?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Welcome to the Springs. Talk to Cecil, the rec director over at the Academy. Also, plenty of people from town post on here. Or, you can try our local club forum, which is in my signature. The season and runs really depend on where the snow is and when it's melting, or when/where there is rain.

The season starts when you want it to, depending on how much you link mank and cold weather. I usually start boating in February or March, and boat into September, maybe October. It just depends when I start getting sick of driving and what is running. I know plenty of people who may slow down, but pretty much never stop boating unless everything is frozen over.

As far a local stores, unfortunately there is only one that sells kayaks, and they only stock it in season. That would be Christy Sports over by Academy & Constitution. I don't recommend it though for meeting people. Really, Mountain Buzz or our local forum are much better for finding people to show you down runs.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I am a new Cadet at USAFA. What are the good rivers and good season in Colorado. I am a class IV kayaking with a Mamba. Also when the season starts are there any stores near Colorado Springs where I could meet people who are experienced on the rivers so I don't have to scout every single run when I go?
We're doing Royal Gorge on Sunday - mostly class 3 with one 4 at this level.
You're welcome to join.

·
Registered
254 Posts
We're doing Royal Gorge on Sunday - mostly class 3 with one 4 at this level.
You're welcome to join.
Kayakpippen,

Don't be fooled by that Sunday crew brother. They'll drink your beer, steal your woman, and then Mike will make you sit and listen to his guitar playing for hours on end. Pure pain. Better yet, I'm heading down to the Gorge on Sat from the Springs, leaving around 10:30. Welcome to join. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love too, but I am "restricted" which means I can't leave base this weekend, but that is exactly what I am looking for. Unfortunately I don't have any gear up here right now. But that is exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for. So in the next few weeks or months if you are planning on going again send me something, cause I would love to go. I am working on getting my stuff up here right now

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Your safer just posting when you want to go, those guys will go till the ice covers the river.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hartley did not pass the Gore Test,
and therefore has not been granted speaking privileges. He will be punished for this violation:
Two weeks' detention .... in my shorts.

Greg's right - we'll go all winter, and we won't likely remember to go tracking down that kid who posted three weeks ago on the Buzz - you'll have to track us down when you want to go.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice Mike (H), Griffin talked you into Gore? How'd you enjoy it? Scott when do you think you'll have your gear in town?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not sure, if I can't get it shipped up here sooner, ill just bring it up when I get down with Thanksgiving leave, but hopefully before then.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nice Mike (H), Griffin talked you into Gore? How'd you enjoy it? Scott when do you think you'll have your gear in town?
Patrick. Enjoy? Gotta say I didn't really. Based on everything I had run this year I'd say it was a reasonable assumption that as long as I walked Gore and Tunnel then all the other stuff should have been reasonable and fun. But Gore made me feel my age. I had to work way too hard to be on line, or close to on-line, and I was tired. Too tired from a safety standpoint. Got flipped in the last hole of any size in Kirshbaum's, took a short but memorable rock beating, and then my first swim in a looong time. I emerged 100' later with all my gear, a sore neck, jammed thumb, and bruised forearm. I might go back at a lower flow and my bigger boat but I might not. My hat's off to anyone who can race their way down that run!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sorry to hear that things didn't go well Mike. I'm not a big fan of the paddle in, but I've decided it's worth it. I even enjoy low flow trips down it, at least once I get to the canyon itself. I was going to offer a trip this upcoming Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, but doesn't sound like you'll be thrilled for it. Looking to take a buddy down for his first time as long as flows hold near 400 or above. Hope things heal up well.

Scott, bummer but if you can't get it until Thanksgiving it make sense. Saves on shipping costs that way.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Pipin, sorry to further hijack your thread but....

Patrick, if you can't get up there Thurs-Sat would you want to go Sunday or Monday???

·
Registered
299 Posts
I can find out Drew. Sundays are harder to get out of, but I'll be certain to check today when I go to work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
come on guys... i get in a little bit of trouble and you already try and find a replacement? it's cool, it's cool after all we've been through i see how it is no more good morning vietnam's for you.. Pippin if you need anything before you can actually get it i'll lend it to you.. boat and gear.. just let me know i go to the academy too so email me i'm a sophomore cs-36

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
I can also help you out in the short term if need be. Definately get a hold of Cecil at the Outdoor Adventure Program.

·
Registered
586 Posts
come on guys... i get in a little bit of trouble and you already try and find a replacement? it's cool, it's cool after all we've been through i see how it is no more good morning vietnam's for you.. Pippin if you need anything before you can actually get it i'll lend it to you.. boat and gear.. just let me know i go to the academy too so email me i'm a sophomore cs-36
We actually had to have a team meeting and decide if there's room for another Pile on the roster. The jury is still out.
Your roster spot is still reserved, though, Private.
Don't get your shorts in a bunch - just get ready for next spring.:twisted:

·
doesn't need a fake name
481 Posts
Back to the original topic, hey pippin, have you looked at eddyflower.com for run descriptions and such? That's my main resource.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts