Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can we educate Kayakers that if they see a fisherman it is common courtesy to go to the other side of the river, and not just Kayak right down the lane of the fisherman.

Had 3 Kayakers do that to me today.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I fish, I kayak, I raft, I tube, I canoe - will never SUP, F*ck that noise.

Sharing the river means interacting with others. Sometimes that is not the “perfect” way for either party. Yes, if at all possible kayakers should not disturb a fisherman and keep a distance. Fisherman sitting at a play spot or the only navigable river channel should expect to be disturbed. Don’t know the details or your interactions but everyone should be giving a little and respecting other users.

·
Renaissance *******
1,288 Posts
How can we educate fishers that if they see a kayaker it is common courtesy to go to the other side of the river, and not just fish right down the lane of the kayaker.

Had 3 fishers do that to me today.

·
My name isn't Will
250 Posts
I fish. I paddle kayaks. I paddle canoes. I row rafts. I even do a little grabbing crabs and spearfishing. Some anglers prefer kayaks to go far to the other side from where they are standing, but some anglers are FISHING the opposite side, and they want you to hug the bank near them. I always like to ask if anything's on the bite as I approach and ask WHERE they want me to go. If possible, I oblige.

I can't count the times that after we've gone by, an angler gets FISH ON. Surely when Steelhead are running, they move and hold, move and hold. They bite when they're on the move. If a kayak goes over where a chromie is holding, it often will move it out of the eddy, and then angler gets a bite.

Years ago there was an angler fishing in one of the very few play spots on a local river. Our group had stopped there for lunch. There was plenty of room to fish the eddy and the seam -- not just on the play feature. I had an angler try to hit me with his lure -- bounced it off my deck. What an f-tard.

·
addict
741 Posts
How can we educate Kayakers that if they see a fisherman it is common courtesy to go to the other side of the river, and not just Kayak right down the lane of the fisherman.

Maybe try talking to them in person instead of crying on the internet.

·
Registered
783 Posts

Engage them.

I fish and I boat. If I'm playing a fish or casting to one as boaters approach, I either pull my line out and wait, or if I'm right into something I'll engage them and ask them to hold up a second.

They can't read your mind. They don't know where the fish are, nor do they see the river the way you do.

You have to engage them and help them to understand.

·
Photographer | Geologist
62 Posts
Fly fishermen need to understand river etiquette...play spots need to be shared. Boats coming from upstream have the right of way.

Last year, I had to do a wet exit because 8 rafters kept bumping into me as I tried to roll up for a 3rd time. I swam with my paddle into a fisherman to keep from going over a low head dam...this was serious survival mode. I was screamed at by the fisherman. He did not get it.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I fish. I paddle kayaks. I paddle canoes. I row rafts. I even do a little grabbing crabs and spearfishing. Some anglers prefer kayaks to go far to the other side from where they are standing, but some anglers are FISHING the opposite side, and they want you to hug the bank near them. I always like to ask if anything's on the bite as I approach and ask WHERE they want me to go. If possible, I oblige.

I can't count the times that after we've gone by, an angler gets FISH ON. Surely when Steelhead are running, they move and hold, move and hold. They bite when they're on the move. If a kayak goes over where a chromie is holding, it often will move it out of the eddy, and then angler gets a bite.

Years ago there was an angler fishing in one of the very few play spots on a local river. Our group had stopped there for lunch. There was plenty of room to fish the eddy and the seam -- not just on the play feature. I had an angler try to hit me with his lure -- bounced it off my deck. What an f-tard.
This, all of it.

I don't fish, but I try to stay on the far side of the river. Make eye contact and a friendly wave. If they want you to come under their rod, it's on them to say so...but should be an easy ask if you've established eye contact and are moving toward the opposite shore to show your intention.

It's a shared resource. The guy fishing a play spot and expecting to remain undisturbed, and the guy who paddles directly over the lure in an open channel are both arseholes.

·
Photographer | Geologist
62 Posts
This, all of it.

I don't fish, but I try to stay on the far side of the river. Make eye contact and a friendly wave. If they want you to come under their rod, it's on them to say so...but should be an easy ask if you've established eye contact and are moving toward the opposite shore to show your intention.

It's a shared resource. The guy fishing a play spot and expecting to remain undisturbed, and the guy who paddles directly over the lure in an open channel are both arseholes.
I certainly don't think the kayaker paddling over a lure into a play spot is an asshole. Sometimes, you have no choice but to drop in. Usually, paddlers coming into a drop yell out coming through...at least I do. Anyone can be a fisherman, not everyone can be a kayaker. With that said, kayakers understand | have a better sense of river etiquette.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You get assholes in every sport, but in my experience a higher percentage of road bikers and fishermen think "sharing" means everyone else should yield to them.

This is not meant to be a comment aimed at the OP. When going by a fisherman, I think it's common sense to try and avoid the area they are fishing if possible.

If someone is fishing a play spot, on the other hand, they should expect to need to share with boaters.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Make way for Tonnage!

Why were you upside down in a raft lane?
In a recent news release issued by the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, the Coast Guard and the Auxiliary wanted to educate boaters, specifically recreational boaters about the dangers of playing in traffic.

Traffic, as defined by both the release and the federal navigation rules are "narrow channels" that "restrict the movement of vessels, which are constrained by their draft". Herein lies the tale of why us small boaters should not play in traffic when the big boats are there.

Source: American Boating Association:Bigger vessels have right of way

·
Photographer | Geologist
62 Posts
You get assholes in every sport, but in my experience a higher percentage of road bikers and fishermen think "sharing" means everyone else should yield to them.

This is not meant to be a comment aimed at the OP. When going by a fisherman, I think it's common sense to try and avoid the area they are fishing if possible.

If someone is fishing a play spot, on the other hand, they should expect to need to share with boaters.
As a cyclist who competed at the elite level most of my 30 yr career, I can say share the road. I am also heavily involved with the national racing scene as an motorcycle official and photographer. Being hit by a motorist who thinks otherwise suck while lying on teh road thinking your dying, and costs the motorist legal bills, and possible jail time. Personal experience.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Try running Blackarby rapid on the Mickey Mouse section of the SFCW sometime when the water bumps up in March for an early season run.
A dozen steelheaders crossing lines from both banks, fishing through the meat and tail of a rapid with one line. You in an eddy 50 yards upstream trying to get them to notice you, let alone give a shit. It's a gauntlet with 6/0 hooks on 30# test.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Anyone can be a fisherman, not everyone can be a kayaker. With that said, kayakers understand | have a better sense of river etiquette.
Spoken like an entitled road biker who likely rides 2-3 abreast up/down canyon roads in the mountains.... (hwy 7, 36, 34, 119) then gets pissed when someone passes them a bit too closely.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Spoken like an entitled road biker who likely rides 2-3 abreast up/down canyon roads in the mountains.... (hwy 7, 36, 34, 119) then gets pissed when someone passes them a bit too closely.
Riding 2-3 abreast on mountain roads is actually not as bad as riding 2-3 abreast on roads with bike lanes. If there is no bike lane, cyclists are supposed to take the lane, so having 2-3 abreast makes no difference than a single cyclist. When cyclists ride 2-3 abreast on roads with bike lanes, blocking traffic, that's pure selfishness (and I believe against the rules of the road).

I do think people are crazy to bike on curvy mountain roads with no shoulder and filled with buzzed drivers and RVs, especially with how little people pay attention to what they're doing these days, but they do have the right to be there if they're ok with taking on that risk.

I ride my bike at least 200 days every year, so I have at least a bit of perspective.

·
Photographer | Geologist
62 Posts
Riding 2-3 abreast on mountain roads is actually not as bad as riding 2-3 abreast on roads with bike lanes. If there is no bike lane, cyclists are supposed to take the lane, so having 2-3 abreast makes no difference than a single cyclist. When cyclists ride 2-3 abreast on roads with bike lanes, blocking traffic, that's pure selfishness (and I believe against the rules of the road).

I do think people are crazy to bike on curvy mountain roads with no shoulder and filled with buzzed drivers and RVs, especially with how little people pay attention to what they're doing these days, but they do have the right to be there if they're ok with taking on that risk.

I ride my bike at least 200 days every year, so I have at least a bit of perspective.
It's 2 abreast, unless traffic is within 300' of the group. Motorists, by law, are required to give 3 feet between their vehicle and teh rider. Curvey mountain roads are not as bad as you think except for very touristy areas, where every out of state vehicle needs to stop in the middle of teh road to take a pic of bambi.

But, the reality of it all is, when you have race pace packs (20+), it's pack mentality, and we are all guilty of it...it's all about attacks, chases, counter attacks, and piss breaks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
From CDOT: https://www.codot.gov/programs/bike...ed-manual/2008-10-official-bicycling-laws.pdf
(6) (a) Persons operating bicycles on roadways shall ride single file;
except that riding no more than two abreast is permitted in the
following circumstances:
(i) When riding two abreast will not impede the normal and
reasonable movement of traffic
; or
(ii) When riding on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the
exclusive use of bicycles.
(b) Persons riding two abreast shall ride within a single lane.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts