Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Great, he wants to jump back in his kayak once it's recovered from the dam. Someone needs to teach this guy how to kayak and how to do it safely before he jumps back in a boat. I don't think that military training would have done him much good if he was stuck in a terminal hydraulic. I imagine most people cringe to hear this guy described on the news as a "kayaker". A body and a kayak does not a kayaker make.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Unfortunately what went on in that video is what 'the masses' will perceive 'extreme kayaking' to be about. It actually sucks for our sport as far as the perception of danger goes. Hopefully this guy will learn something from the experience...namely that he should get a clue (and a helmet) before flopping off of drops. That dam would be no problem with even a mediocre boof.

·
Super Moderator
2,873 Posts
He didn't "escape" death.

He failed in his attempt to commit suicide by low head dam.

Already covered a week ago, but without the interview. If you want your own thread though that's ok.

Carve, no reason to get your panties in a bind! Rough day huh?
Thanks Mr C. You are letting that compassionate side show.......:rolleyes:

Having a great day actually. I do need to go boating though, that's for sure.

I thought it would play as more humorous, but I underestimated my funnehness.

No offense freakus.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I do like the air brace... you can tell he's done lots of drops... ok, maybe not! He's giving us all a bad name!!! He would have been better off tubing the drop holding a beer, just like all the tourans here in Steamboat...

·
Registered
950 Posts
TV influences us all...I was going to take a SW safety/rescue course as I used to think that was best if your a yaker but now I know you just have to join the Army...and why in the hell did I spend money on a helmut when you don't even need one. I wanna be an EXTREME kayaker like the guy I saw on the news!!! :rolleyes:

"I've learned to not panic under pressure"

You've obviously not learned to take a boof stroke, wear a helmut, or not be a frecking idiot. Jesus the level (i.e., sheer magnitude) of stupidity in some people is amazing!

·
Registered
34 Posts
this is natural selection in action almost. I can not stand how one man with little to know experience can go out and make the news with his "near death escape". i agree that it was almost a failed suicide. there are inherent risks in kayaking and people should know what they are and not just go "oh i have a kayak i can do that too". no it takes years of practice and knowledge.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Most people tube this river so I am pretty sure he said, "Hey watch this", before his death defying leap.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Gh I belive the correct phrase is "somebody hold my beer you'all, watch this"

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts