Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
Headed out on the Grand in 2 weeks and need some kayak safety advice. Worst case scenario, I become separated from my boat and group. What kind of self rescue kit should I put together for the small pocket inside my PFD? Space blanket, waterproof matches, energy bar, anything else?

Also, I have a contour helmet cam. Do I need to get a shock resistant SD memory card or can I get by with a regular one?

Thank you in advance for you time and any information.
---Dominic----

·
Registered
271 Posts
I keep a magnesium fire striker in my vest on multi-day trips. It's lightweight and can be attached to a utility loop in your PFD's pocket. If you're paddling in a properly insulated dry suit, you might not need a space blanket as long as you could start a fire. This would leave more room for food. Make sure your TL has a plan for mapping your last known location and the ability to relay a message to search and rescue. Have you looked at SPOT GPS messengers?

·
Registered
81 Posts
my worry is always getting separated from my group while hiking, not while boating, and group dynamics play a huge role. Not to downplay the danger of the river, which is very real, but I got pretty scared on my grand trip when a friend and I fell behind in Surprise Valley and she got heat exhaustion. A safety conscious TL can make all the difference in either case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts