Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out how you can carry 7 or 8 kayaks on a large SUV, without a trailer. I don't think an SUV exists, where you could make this roof rack work - 2 rows of 4 creek boats.

I'm pondering the thought of having a kayak carrier fabricated, which could hold 3-4 creek boats on the tow hitch (vertically).

This is a rough idea of what i'm thinking: https://www.google.ca/search?q=vert...IHcjSDCYQ9QEwDXoECAAQCA#imgrc=2OVX5T6i3FVs9M:

It would however have the boats turned 90 degrees, so that you can stack more side-by-side.

I would also like it to be hinged, so that you can get your stuff out from the trunk. Maybe add a paddle holder too.

https://www.google.ca/search?tbm=is...k1j0i30k1.0.nhGREA-N-dY#imgrc=WvezgPaldfFrIM:

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
You can't stack creek boats or sea kayaks?

Damn.
I never got the memo.

I've stacked a mix of hardshell and skin on frame kayaks on a 1993 Dodge Grand Caravan on 6' bars....and drove to Seattle, 450mi away.

We fit 10 sea kayaks.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I kinda understand not wanting to do an obnoxious stack every time on most normal SUVs, but agree it can be done. I think you could pull off the roof rack single stack on a Ford Excursion for sure, I bet a Suburban would be close and could be accomplished if you ran the rack past the cab over the hood. Prolly a custom setup though have seen them before.

Have a buddy who uses a platform hitch and just straps boats to it, albeit playboats. Might be able to work with something like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Erickso...Vioh-Ch27-AbaEAQYBSABEgLZcvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lots of platform options with some decent weight ratings, I almost want one now.

·
Super Moderator
4,105 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I should add: stacking 8 boats onto a rack, where you would be considered within the recommended weight limit for the rack - which is normally around the weight of 4 creek boats.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I had a late 90's Chevy Suburban and used several sets of Thule 78" cross bars attached to the factory rails, as well as a rack set attached to the bare roof over the cab, and a few kayak stackers. With that setup we could haul quite a number of kayaks and even a raft frame. I think our record was 9 or 10, a mix of play, river, kid and creek boats, including a Dynamic Duo, and sometimes even a raft frame and rocket box.

The amount of weight we hauled up there always exceeded the manufacturer's weight limit. I have wondered if that limit refers to their cross bars (blades) and not the rails attached to the roof?

While that setup worked fine, it was a time consuming PITA to strap on so many kayaks and a drag on already poor fuel economy. Nowadays, anytime I'm hauling more than a few kayaks around I'll opt for the utility trailer which is so much quicker and easier than roof strapping, and less worry down the highway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts